For any Model Train Guys....

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
John.... sure beats my american flyer on two pcs of 4 X 8 painted plywood.
robert

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for the link - that's amazing!

I'm still at the little kid stage with my trains. Mom & dad gave me a Lionel train set when I was a kid and I had fun with it and it shows in wear & tear on the set but I had fun and learned a lot. Still have that set & the original boxes. I have added stuff through the years and just stored it away with the original set. Three or four years ago (before I started reviving the 409 powered 55 T-Bird) I unpacked some of the train stuff and set up some in the the living room - 4 trains going at once. Ellen's cat didn't know what to think of it all and the grandkids liked it.

Later the small town north of us ask for people to display things for an event they were having so I took some trains and set up a display. I'll never forget the little guy that came in wearing his Thomas train shirt and RR engineer's hat. He stayed as long as his mom would let him - made it worth all the effort to go and setup.

A couple of months ago I saw a 4 x8 sheet of plywood with N scale track at the auction. Ellen likes the little trains and has bought me some through the years so she bought the N scale train board at the auction for $5.00. I much prefer my 3 rail 0 & 027 gauge but have to admit the little trains are neet.IMG_0412 (Medium) (Small).JPGIMG_0413 (Medium) (Small).JPGIMG_0421 (Medium) (Small).JPGIMG_0462 (Medium) (Small).JPGIMG_5970 (Medium) (Small).JPG

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Sadly all of my HO scale trains are now in boxes in the attic. I had a 15' X 20' basement layout for many years. I had a lot of L.I.R.R.trains from the old # 39 steam engine to the 1st F-7 diesel and everything in between. (engines and cars ). Lots of fun.

:crazy:cheers

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I still have, all my Lionel "O" Gauge trains, from 1954. Most cars still have original boxes. Used to bring them out, and set them up, under the Christmas tree, when my kids were young. :clapIt would be FUN, to bring them out, for the grand kids, but now, we don't have the room. They're packed away, in the attic, also.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Great layout Clyde!! I have two Lionel O-27 trains in my basement that are so old I don't remember when they were bought. A funny thing happened a few years ago when my dad was still alive. In the fall of every year the Northern Delaware model railroad club members open their homes to the public to see their layouts. My son and I would pickup dad and we would go house to house admiring the different model railroads. One Saturday I overheard him talking to a guy at one of the houses. He said, "Yeah, years ago I had an O-27 layout running two engines. Plasticville houses. operating cars, the whole deal." And all those years I thought they were my trains. :doh For Christmas that year I got him and new Lionel train. He had me set it up every year until he had to move to assisted living.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dick. I will have to get my two train set of American flier and my American flier Daytona car race set bring them up to del and see if they get along. Mine have been in the boxes for longer than I remember probably when I got my license in 61
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I had a 17'x17' H-shaped layout all thru Jr. high and High School in my grandparents basement. I had an uncle who got me started. He was the Head of the Art department at our University. He could take a brand new boxcar and in 15 minutes...............it looked like it was 50 years old!!!! He also had a HO layout that on his passing...........was donated to our local County museum. Several railroad club members came in and took it apart and then set it back up. My uncle was so concerned about the small details.......in the alleys of his little town...he would have trash cans that were blown over and then individual pieces of paper scattered down the alley!!!! He was an expert on model railroads.