Found Another One

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Went to look at a 66 Corvair today……. I know, but I just can't help myself.
It's a Corsa.
It has Telescopic steering column.
It is a 4 speed.
the turbo is in the back seat but it doesn't matter cuz it has a 215 Olds aluminum engine in the rear.
Unfortunately the engine is torn down.
Some rust but not too bad.20171208_150706_resized.jpg20171208_150717_resized.jpg20171208_150758_resized.jpg20171208_150919_resized.jpg20171208_151827_resized.jpg20171208_151832_resized.jpg20171208_152123_resized.jpg

Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Every time I see one of those, it bring some sad memories. One of my best high school friends lost his life driving home from College one Friday night, in 1968 in one. He fell asleep at the wheel and hit a bridge on the expressway.
A little story about this,
first he was 6 foot 6 in tall. They moved the seat back to accommodate his size.
Second the only reason he was coming home was to see me, as I just arrived back in Detroit at the VA hospital from Vietnam.
So as I said, every time I see one, it makes me think that I caused his death.
I know it wasn’t because he could have waited to drive in, in morning, but it’s still tough on me. Even after 50 years.

Dave

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Some friends and I put a 63,200 horse 215 Buick v8[with the marine reverse rotation cam] into a 65 Corsa,in 1968.I got it down to the low 13's on stock tires.This thing was a blast on the street as a sleeper.Many years later at the bracket finals at Atlanta Dragway,I talked to a guy that had one with the 300 Buick crank fitted.Outwardly it looked stock as heck,but would fly.He dialed in at 12.0,and ran out at 11.85.If I had the money,I'd love to do another one.The Range Rover 3500 is the same thing,and they aren't hard to find.

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a show or article I read recently about the Buick V8 used in England, I think GM sold the rights to them to a Brit company in the 60's or so. In England they are the small block Chevy of the automotive world, used widely in racing and otherwise and lots of aftermarket stuff for them. They weren't big enough for us but a very big powerful motor by Brit standards. Here's one in a road race MGB.

KeithBurnett-MGBGTV8-CA.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You're right Don.Gm sold the engine rights,patterns,ect.to the Brits in the about 65-66 time frame.I don't know if they still do,but at one time Crane made a lot of stuff,like roller rockers for these engines.The Rover 3.5 liter engines were used for many years,and it was upgraded up to about 4 liters from the same design.The Buick version weighted in at 285 lbs.while the air cooler Corvair flat 6 weighed 315 lbs.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Dave, my condolences. Please don't blame yourself forever. It's tough to lose friends no matter how old we all get when it happens.
I had a college auto shop instructor that was a real one of a kind. He made an adapter plate from 1/2" aluminum, had a V-8 bolt pattern and a Corvair Powerglide on the other side.He put the 327 in the back end of an early Corvair 4 door,and put some mechanical cam in it, a set of double hump heads, and a Rochester fuel injection unit on it. It had 21/2 inch rams horn exhausts on it, and a home brew exhaust with a turbo muffler on each side(How long since we've talked about those!)This car was an interesting piece. It idled about 650 RPM, left pretty well, then would like to pull your head off. He used to drive it on the street, and it was stock right down to the hubcaps on the outside. He called it the Schlafer, which was German for Sleeper. One of the guys in the shop had a pair of rims with some 8 inch slicks on it, so he and several students converged on the original Irwindale Race way on fun and grudge night, put on the tires, and it promptly went 12.96 at 106. They put a couple hits on it,
and everybody drove home. I don't know what he ever did with it, but what a fun one of a kind project!!