frame blast

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I finally got a chance to use my dustless blaster for a real project. I blasted this 63 pickup frame for a guy at work, it took all day and 8 bags of sand. It was pretty rusty, it had been in a field for 15 years. He's not using the front end, so I didn't have to blast it.

derek 005.JPG derek 001.JPG

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looking good Mearl!

About that front clip from my '62 Impala, I'd like to be your "co-worker" on that one :).

Cheers! TomK

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
A good respirator should take care of any dust problems. Now I remember when you bought this outfit that water was part of the program. Doesn't that get the rust process going sooner? I remember dry sandblasting a trailer for a guy back in the 60's in my tuck pointing days. Seems like 3 days later we had to do it again because he hadn't primed it right away..

Last edited:

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
There's a liquid that goes in with the water called Hold Tite 102, it cleans the metal of any chlorides and salts that cause rust to come back. As long as it doesn't get wet again, it will stay rust free for up to 72 hours. The humidity will start the process again or if you touch it with a bare hand. The only real way to prevent it is to prime it right away. I put it in the garage and the guy is picking it up today, it isn't rusted yet.
By the way Dave, I've always read that nothing but an air supplied hood will stop Silicosis.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
How would you like doing that for a living Mearl. I know you don't have the bigger version is why it probably took longer.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A good respirator should take care of any dust problems. Now I remember when you bought this outfit that water was part of the program. Doesn't that get the rust process going sooner? I remember dry sandblasting a trailer for a guy back in the 60's in my tuck pointing days. Seems like 3 days later we had to do it again because he hadn't primed it right away..
I had my frame sand/media blasted in 2013 and didn't get it primered/sealed until 2016. There was some surface rust but nothing a sanding disc didn't take off quickly.
However, I'll be the first to admit climate/environment has everything to do with rust speed. Denver is just generally dry and I kept it in the garage, and it was never really exposed to the elements.
The cast center section on the rear axle on the other hand, took almost no time at all to re-rust. In about a week, it looked like it hadn't been to the blaster. It also was stored indoors.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I did mine, I blasted it in the morning and then shot it with rust preventive primer in the afternoon. Shot it with high build primer about a week later.