Frame Question

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem? Something has always nagged me about the way my 62 SS looked from the rear. It seemed like the driver's side sat slightly lower. Now that the body is off, new coil springs, new shocks, the frame looked as though it was slightly bent just behind the rear driver's side wheel (just after where the frame transitions from boxed to C channel.) I measured it and found that the driver's side was exactly an inch lower. A level confirms. I suspect that the issue was that the body mount behind the rear driver's wheel was rusted/gone. That put the weight on the rear corner, causing it to sag. Has anyone run into this?

I guess my question is...before I heat the frame up and try to bend back in place should the driver's side sit a little lower without the added weight of the body? I know from previous threads the panhard pulls the rear end down and to the left; however, I'm not quite sure that's the issue here. Also thought about adding a simple spacer to the rear mount (taking the short cut.) Just not sure I would be able to live with that.

Any ideas? :dunno

Attachments

• Copy of 6-16-05 044.jpg
    Copy of 6-16-05 044.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 80

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Unless you are a frame man I wouldn`t touch the frame.
I would have it loaded on a flat bed tow truck and taken to a respectable frame shop.

I would bet it can`t cost more then a few hundred to put it back to spec,,, JMO,, dq

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The 1961 passenger car shop manual has the dimensions for checking dimensions points on the frame height. (on a bare frame)

There is a gauge hole on the side on the middle of the the "X". Near the center drive shaft bearing support point. This point should be your reference point, 3-3/4 inches off the floor. ( on a bare frame)

Now starting from the back cross member. The top of the frame should 10-29/64 inches high.

Now moving down the frame or to the front. The top of the first body mount bracket before the "C" section (not the one on top of the "C" section) should be 10-33/64 inches high.

Now move to the front body mount point just before the front cross member (the bottom of the "X". the top of this body mount should be 11-17/64 high.

The last point to check is the center of the first large hole in the side of the frame (the one that nearest to the front of the frame) this dimension is 8-7/8 inches high.

There is 14 more dimensions for length and how wide the frame in the manual.

Hope this helps

Dave

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Frame ?

Jim and Dave have it right! Probably a good idea to take the frame to a good body shop with the correct tools. I don't think it would be a good idea to apply heat to the frame to straighten in any instance, should be done cold!

pauls63409

Supporting Member 1
Why is frame bent?

You need to ask yourself, "Why is frame bent"? Take a closer look and try to determine if the vehicle has been in an accident at one time. A full frame will usually not bend for no reason. Something caused that problem. Possibly an accident or possibly an excessive amount of rust in that area. Try to inspect the inner part of the frame for rust. They can rust from the inside out. A full frame can be heated as long as the heated area is work hardened as it is cooling. You need to have a professinal look at the problem and determine what steps will need to be taken to correct problem. I do this for a living. Hope I was some help.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
mabeauchamp, I totally agree with the suggestions you have recieved from the guys, but before spending a lot of money and time to correct the problem, I think you should do a little more research. You say it " looks bent ". Some of the frame bends may not look right, but may be right. I am only suggesting that you inspect another bare frame and compare with yours in that area before taking action.

gearheadtx

Supporting Member 1
62 frame

I have a good X frame that will fit 61,62 Impala/Belair for sale. Reply back if you are interested.