Frames

4kops

In 62 where all the frames the same between 2dr, 4dr, hardtop,sedan,and wagons the same? Can you use swap the frames or is there a difference.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All of the frames are the same. (I'm not sure of the wagon frame though. somenody will speak up if not) The convertible frame has 2 additional body mounts.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
1961 to 1964 convertible frames are different from the others. They are reinforced and have 12 body mounts. ALL the other frames are the same. They have 8 body mounts. There are some differences in the frames depending on the vendor...but all are dimensionally the same. But you COULD use a convertible frame on a hardtop but SHOULDN'T use a hardtop frame on a convertible.:eek: :eek:

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I will agree that the frames are the same but on an eight passenger wagon one of the crossmembers is different. I think the frame could still be used as is but think the crossmember is different because of the rear seating.

Bill

4kops

Thanks Guys what about if I have a automatic car and buy a frame from a manual car is there any difference. Anything I have to do to the manual frame to use a powerglide in it.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You will need to weld a bolt or something to the frame for the column shift Powerglide linkage. Put the linkage on and it is easy to see where you need to weld it. I have been told that it should have been on the frame, but it wasnt on mine, and no sign of it ever being there.