freon

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Like anything, that works well, eventually, the green a**hole movement, will have it banned, as they did. :mad: It will be tough to find it, now. :dunno Mechanic's have hoarded, what's left, for their own use.:eek: Skip:)

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Heard you can still find R 12 in Mexico, but I have no proof that it is still for sale there. I have my own personnal stash of R 12, and it blows cold, 32 degrees in a Sears a/c unit under the dash of that 66 F250 I've had for years, all that other crap, Red Tec, and whatever the other crap was called didn't blow cold, just cool at best, then one of my customers brought in a thirty pound can with a little freon used already, and gave it to me in payment for a little touch up. The local pick a parts yards did have used R 12 for sale, they have to evac every a/c unit and drain every engine, trans, and rearend, they even vacuum out the power steering and brake units, as all gases and fluids must be recovered prior to scrapping them out.

oldimpala

Well Known Member
R-12 is still "Available" in the US, though it hasn't been produced for 6 or 7 years.

And, yes, people have been stockpiling it (I'm guilty, I have a case of 12Oz. cans for the system on an old Bentley I own).

Last time I checked (I have an R12 license), it was retailing over $400/lb.

Can I ask why you're not converting? In my case it's because some part will have to be fabbed... A converted 134 system will only lose 2-3 degrees in outlet temperature over 12; and it's just too easy to find the refrigerant to do it.....

-Andy

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
$400 a pound????? I saw the 14 ounce cans for sale at the Pomona swap meet last summer for 15 bucks a can, guy had about 8 cans left, they were old stock, beat up from banging around in someones trunk. I will be buying those at that price from now on.

oldimpala

Well Known Member
Dave-

It's cheaper to buy Crack, I think... The last time Freon was available, over-the-counter, was 12/31/89; the last time we were able to legally manufacture it was in '98, I think. (I know the first date; not so sure on the second).

When I left selling auto parts (2000), I was down to part time at Napa, while working a full-time-job, and a 25lb. Cylinder was going for $3000 (Like $120/lb), and had a wait time to get it.

I just converted almost everything over. If my Bentley were an American Spec machine, it's have a handy-dandy GM/Frigidaire Radial model 12 compressor in it, and it'd be converted 5 times over.... It's just too much of a PITA to get 12, and it's flippin' expensive!

-Andy