from 230 to 283

broglie

Have 6 cyl with one bad piston. wouls like to change to 283. I have, I was informed, a large transmission may be powerglide, don't know. What do I have to change, add, drop, to have a 283. My car is a1961 four dr. Impala sedan.
Thanks. broglie:) :)

de31168

Well Known Member
As far as I know, just motor mounts and throttle linkage. I'm going from a inline 6 to a 283 also.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did a 6cyl to 283 years ago on a '58 Chevy........ if I remember correctly you have to change the motor mounts that are on the frame of the car if you want the engine in the factory position. I didn't change them when I did mine and if I remember the engine sat an inch or so back or forward. Again if I remember correctly I had to oblong the hole in the transmission cross member to make up the difference......... and there was something I had to do with the clutch linkage as well because of that........ the ball on the engine was off a little & I can't remember what I did there but it was an easy fix........ never had an issue with it, everything worked fine. The 283 made the car feel like a rocket after the 6 cyl............ again it's a memory thing but I don't think the bell housings are the same. The older 6 & 283 used a different one. I remember searching high & low for a bell housing for a V8.......... they weren't that common back then....... so I think you'll have to change your automatic..... there is an adaptor that was used on them back then so maybe that's what you need......

There's got to be more guys on here who have a better memory that have done this.

Dave