Front Brake disc kit-needed

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Being attached to the inner fender you will want some flex in the line's going to the master cylinder.
It’s not attached, I have it bent that tight, definitely not attached. BUT you bring a good point, I was going to add some clear silicone to stop rubbing….. bad idea?

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
why the spacer
Well I had a problem originally with the inside of my rim hitting the suspension or backing plate slightly. I am guessing the offset on the rim was to close. I added the 1/2” spacer and it then worked without rubbing or hitting.

Now I do not know with the front disc kit if those will be needed or not until I mount the rims/ tires back on the car.

I’d rather not use them if not needed. I’d have to go back and look in the comments above. These front rims are 15x7 width with a -3 offset. It’s on the box/specs.

I just know it cleared with drums and these spacers.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That spacer has huge stud holes letting it drop. Will that give you a balance problem?
I have a washer that locks into the un-lug style set up, I’ll post a pic in a bit. I’m not sure how to answer the question as I have only drove the car for a short test drive before this brake conversion.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I had a problem originally with the inside of my rim hitting the suspension or backing plate slightly. I am guessing the offset on the rim was to close. I added the 1/2” spacer and it then worked without rubbing or hitting.

Now I do not know with the front disc kit if those will be needed or not until I mount the rims/ tires back on the car.

I’d rather not use them if not needed. I’d have to go back and look in the comments above. These front rims are 15x7 width with a -3 offset. It’s on the box/specs.

I just know it cleared with drums and these spacers.
That's amazing that you had to use spacers with drum brakes. ******* Cragers. If there's one wheel that gives strange problems it's Cragers

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's amazing that you had to use spacers with drum brakes. ******* Cragers. If there's one wheel that gives strange problems it's Cragers
I guess I will try putting the wheels on without the spacers and see how it works first, my thinking was if this is a kit that really changes nothing, it will probably need the spacers as the drums did? But there is no backing plate now?

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Regarding the second disc brakes conversion set that I bought from Mike's, we spoke about incorporating dropped spindles on my 62 Impala wagon and Mike said his won't work with dropped spindles. Mike suggested to just cut the springs.
However, I'd have to remove the OG spindles to get the springs out and my thought is that I'm better off just buying a complete 2" dropped spindles with disc brakes and booster kit.
Fortunately my SIL who bought my '61 Bel Air (at a deep discount price) wants the disc brakes I bought from Mike and the brake booster bought from a different vendor.
So it's a win/win for me and SIL

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Regarding the second disc brakes conversion set that I bought from Mike's, we spoke about incorporating dropped spindles on my 62 Impala wagon and Mike said his won't work with dropped spindles. Mike suggested to just cut the springs.
However, I'd have to remove the OG spindles to get the springs out and my thought is that I'm better off just buying a complete 2" dropped spindles with disc brakes and booster kit.
Fortunately my SIL who bought my '61 Bel Air (at a deep discount price) wants the disc brakes I bought from Mike and the brake booster bought from a different vendor.
So it's a win/win for me and SIL
Sounds like it all worked out.... I replaced all my suspension, ball joints, springs etc. In fact I went to a more ridged 409 spring instead of the lighter weight spring from the OEM 327 springs, it sits up a little higher for now, but I suspect when it goes for its first alignment on Friday, all that will get adjusted.

When I was a kid 16-20.... I was buying these cars for $200-500.00 and keeping them running with bailing wire and spare used parts, patching my mufflers with beer cans and clamps, lol I always had hijacker air shocks on and put all that pressure on my front ends, wearing out all the parts before their time, now at 60, I can afford to do it right, so I decided to keep my ride height just where it should be. I know some low rider guys who hop them, and lay them low, but I just want a good ride at this point, good luck.

Last edited: