Front steering arm bolts

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Looking at my 64 the previous owner had left the nuts loose on the steering arm and the rear bolt had even fallen out. Front factory looking bolt had the nut on inside and no lock washer and not a crimped nut-is that correct?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1955-57 used a castle nut with a cotter pin, not sure if 58-64 used the same. However grade8 nut with lock washer or grade8 nylock works just as well. If you want a little more assurance use the stover lock nut (crimped type). Don't use the stover nut if you plan on taking these apart often as the nut and bolt needs to be replaced after each use.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Nut and bolt with no washer is correct and the bolts are different lengths the ones in the rear are longer then the ones closer to the front.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Front bolt is longer, that is where the steering arm is thicker, all steering arms are thicker on the tie rod end, that is where all the force is applied when turning. If they don't have a washer then it had a castle nut with cotter pin,or stover lock nut, the OEM bolt would be a special type with a hole in the end. Never install steering arms without some sort of locking nut.

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Nuts inside drum or outside of steering arm? Other side looks like nuts under drum and they appear tight. Need to double check. They just torqued like rod bolts?

Kevin Shelly

Well Known Member
On mine, the nuts are on the outside at the steering arm. Not sure of the torque spec for these but I made them as tight as I could get them. Used a 5/8" socket on the bolt head to hold it and an 11/16" wrench to tighten the nut.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The 62 in the drive has the nuts on the outside.
They are the all metal self locking nuts.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks. The 65 GTO I have they are on the outside also. Guess I'd better check every bolt on this thing before I trust it rolling more than being pushed around the shop.

Yep 5/8 and 11/16 usually 7/16 bolt like the one factory bolt there was.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Looks like I will have to pull the hub to have nuts on the outside-maybe why they were on the inside. Good thing I did the hub seal popped off the hub and stayed on the spindle!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Previous guy must have just barely bolted things together for it to roll! I bought it less motor and tranny as I had an 09 waiting to toss in and it was a clean body.