FRONT SWAY BAR

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Just passing along some info. Just got done installing the Addco #706 1" front sway bar on my '62 Impala. Easy job. The kit comes with black poly bushings and all the steel parts parts. I reused all of my original steel parts and only used the poly bushings from the kit. This is a straight up bolt in installation. No mods necessary. Made a BIG difference in handling, especially cornering. I hauled that stock 11/16" bar around way too long.:scratch Leo

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
What are you guys saying. It was like driving a boat. I got spoiled driving my wife's 65 Skylark which has a GTO frame and suspension under it. BTW, that 11/16" bar IS in the trash can.Leo

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
aaah yes, but that was 40 years ago. We are into cruising and road trips now. I had the Impala all apart in March and April for new paint and carpet. Going to SD in a couple of weeks for the Sizzlin Summer Nights event and to visit with Louie, the original owner of my Impala. Louie is 101 years old and was a co worker back in the '60's. Took me for a ride the same day he bought the new Impala and had me wash it on Saturdays when I was a kid. Leo

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Leo, Great story with great history. I'm sure that trip will be a blast. Ron was right, straight line, turn onto return road, ease back into the pits. No need for sway bar.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Leo - appreciated reading that story as well.

You "boat" analogy is right on. I find myself needing to really slow down in the corners otherwise "interesting" things start happening (read lane drift!!)

A couple of questions on the sway bar:
  1. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being changing the oil "easy" and 10 being engine re-build "hard", where would performing this job rank?
  2. After this was done, did you need to re-align the front wheels?
  3. Where did you order yours from?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Eric, Easy to remove the old bar and install the new one. I would give it a 3 only because you have to unbolt the idler arm from the frame (2 nuts), leave the bolts in the frame. On the drivers side, you take the nut off the p/s cylinder ram and pull it down several inches for clearance. I used the original 3/8" x 7" bolts on each end with the new poly bushings provided rather than the kit's 5/16" x 6" bolts. I installed the 2 poly bar saddle bushings using my original saddle clamps and bolts (perfect fit). Every thing has good clearance because the bar has a bow under the crank pulleys. I bought the Addco #706 bar from Summit Racing for $150.00 with free shipping and handling, no tax. delivered in 3 days. :beerWell worth the effort and money. BTW, the alignment should not affected. Leo

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
aaah yes, but that was 40 years ago. We are into cruising and road trips now. I had the Impala all apart in March and April for new paint and carpet. Going to SD in a couple of weeks for the Sizzlin Summer Nights event and to visit with Louie, the original owner of my Impala. Louie is 101 years old and was a co worker back in the '60's. Took me for a ride the same day he bought the new Impala and had me wash it on Saturdays when I was a kid. Leo
Great Story Leo...:clap I hope Leo likes how she handles through the corners now and gets to watch you wash the impala...:deal

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I went on a 650 mile trip several weeks ago and the car stayed level around curves and corners. Stability was vastly improved. Very happy with the upgrade. Well worth the $150. I have no plans on doing the rear suspension, although it would firm up it quite a bit more. Leo

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Leo,

I put front and rear sway bars on my 64 plus new suspension bushes and coil over shocks, car is a load stiffer, rides, steers and handles really well, a good investment.

It really is a pleasure to drive.

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Leo,

I put front and rear sway bars on my 64 plus new suspension bushes and coil over shocks, car is a load stiffer, rides, steers and handles really well, a good investment.

Did you install insulators on the springs?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Back to my new sway bar. It has developed a SERIOUS squawk/creaking condition since I installed the bar and the air temps dropped. I am pretty sure the problem area is the sway bar clamped to the poly bushings at the frame mount. I am thinking of either some kind of lube job or replacing the poly bushings with the rubber bushings. Anyone else run into this with poly bushings? Leo

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Back to my new sway bar. It has developed a SERIOUS squawk/creaking condition since I installed the bar and the air temps dropped. I am pretty sure the problem area is the sway bar clamped to the poly bushings at the frame mount. I am thinking of either some kind of lube job or replacing the poly bushings with the rubber bushings. Anyone else run into this with poly bushings? Leo

What are air temps?

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Leo,

Did you use insulators between arms and springs?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a 3M lube for this, for use with poly bushings, I'll see if I can find the number.

Don