Fuel line location

pauls63409

Supporting Member 1
I noticed in a picture on the site that the fuel line for a 425 horse 409 ran under the right side upper controll arm. I have a 63 Impala with an 09 that was originally a 283, and I ran a 3/8 stainless steel line along the same route as the original, on top of the rail. I also have the large exhaust manifolds. What kind of problems can this cause? Is it correct that the fuel line run under the upper arm? It seems obvious that it would be for cooling purpose.:dunno

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The 3/8" line ran under the upper a-arm to keep it away from the 348 and 409 manifolds. If you already have the 3/8 line running back to the tank, you can buy a new line and splice it into your existing line. Actually, the 3/8" line is jointed with a rubber hose about where the frame starts to bend up ward (just under the firewall). I think you can buy just the front section. You might want to get the clap that holds the fuel line to the frame. Its a metal bracket and a fine thread bolt. You can rob one off a 327 car in a salvage yard, if its not available new. I think that the hole is already there, just needs tapped. Its mostly hidden by the upper a-arm.
With my old 63 SS, I installed a 409 where a 283 had once been and I was having problems with the fuel getting too hot. The car would start to sputter after about 10 minutes and then would die. I re-routed the fuel line and it never happened again.
Best of luck!
Ross