Fuel pump pressure 283

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Mike. I know it's around here somewhere! How much for the kit?

I never rebuilt one but it can't be that hard. (I rebuilt a power steering pump once so should be easier than that) :D

I have the original screw type for my 66 Impala too that I want to someday rebuild and put back into service.

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
Oh yeh, I ordered a new pump from Autozone made by Airtex for $16.99 First thing I'm going to do is test it's pressure.

Just keeping my fingers crossed I get a good one. :dunno

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
I'll make a deal with you, I'll trade you two 348-409 coffee mugs for the kit. Rebuilding the pump yourself really isn't that hard, the advantage of having me do it is for one thing you get a lifetime warranty, plus for someone like yourself, I would replace the screws with new period correct ones. There are other little things that I do to a pump that insures that it will last for a long time.

Here's a little something that I run into quite a bit. When a customer gets their pump back, installs it on the engine, and all of a sudden the carburetor starts flooding, they instantly blame the pump saying I did something wrong because it puts out too much pressure now. What they failed to do was clean out the fuel lines before installing the fresh pump, and any dirt that may have been trapped somewhere in the system, particularly in the line that connects from the frame to the pump, has become dislodged and is now sitting in the needle and seat of the carburetor causing the flooding. Fuel pressure on a pump is controlled by the spring under the diaphragm only, and in most cases, I re-use the original spring as long as it measures the correct tension on my tester. The little spring that you see under the arm is only there to keep tension on the arm and keep the arm from slapping on the cam which would produce a ticking sound like a bad lifter.

And that completes todays lesson.

bobs409

Administrator
Well, Autozone finally got that fuel pump in for me. It seems on the first try, it got lost somewhere so they ordered me another and it came in today.

First thing I did was clamp it in the bench vise and test it's pressure. 7+ pounds! Not even going to bother putting it on.

Looks like the regulator will stay for now. Maybe when I rebuild the original, it will have a lower pressure.

Bob

P.S. As I was typing this, the UPS man dropped off the rebuild kit. Thanks Mike! Looks great. Now I just have to remember where I put my original pump. :scratch

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
Bob, how are you testing the pressure on that new pump. It must be tested by installing it on the engine and "T"-ing in a pressure gauge. If you are dead-heading it on the bench, it will read high.