Fuel pump Question on 409 Engine.

Aqua409ss

Well Known Member
Hi
for years I've been having problems with my Spark plugs fouling in 409 Engine 2x4"s . I thought this was something id had to put up with , while driving around the city.
Now I'm starting to think that its because of my fuel pump keeping a constant flow trickling when the engine has been shut down. Im now thinking it best to connect the return Fuel line to stop the pressure .Having troubles with starting , fouling plugs (wet and oily) have had carter carbs rebuilt now thinking its the seats not closing.

I also had noticed my fuel pump has been leaking and decided to take it oft inspect it.. I've noticed its a Carter #4656. I believe this is for a 58-62 Corvette 283 327 and not a 409.

Is this the right fuel pump for my Application? and should i keep using it?

Also wonder if i need to rebuild the fuel pump? should the fuel pump keep flowing petrol though it when the engine is not running? or should it seal when the engines stopped ?

Thanks for any Advice

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Don, what exactly are the heat spacers you refer to? Just the phenolic blocks used to slightly raise the carbs? Do they relay do much?

thanks for sharing your experience and counsel

Chip