Fuel Pump Rebuild

Skidder

I tried getting fuel through my 64 Impala fuel pump the other day and got nothing but fuel all over the ground. I think this is a stock pump but not really sure, it has screws all the way around on the top lid of the pump and as AC on the top, the bottom of the pump as two screws. Are these pumps worth rebuilding and if so who sales the right kit for this style of pump? My 409 is a stock 400hp motor.

coogan

Well Known Member
Show cars has rebuild kits and complete pumps. I disassembled mine but damaged one of the check valves taking it out. It looked like you needed a special tool to press the check valves in so I opted to order a replacement fuel pump. Show cars has Oem style pumps which are more expensive than the non branded pump I bought. Depends if you want everything correct.

Skidder

Show cars has rebuild kits and complete pumps. I disassembled mine but damaged one of the check valves taking it out. It looked like you needed a special tool to press the check valves in so I opted to order a replacement fuel pump. Show cars has Oem style pumps which are more expensive than the non branded pump I bought. Depends if you want everything correct.

Thanks for the information, I have not rebuild one of these fuel pumps either. Does Show Cars sale the tool you need to remove the check valve?

bobs409

Administrator
Do you see a number on this fuel pump? I think it should be #6883 but not sure if they stamped them on.

I would definetly save the old pump even if your not going to use it. Now a days all you can buy are the non rebuildable type.