fuel pump

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I ordered a new fuel pump from Bruce at Show Cars. The site said the 4278A is for all 348 and 409 engines. It came in yesterday and it has a fitting for a return line. Do you just block this off? Show Cars is closed today or I would call. It is for the 409 in my 59 Impala.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,just block it off.Be sure to check the out put pressure.A lot of the replacement stuff has been crazy high with their pressures lately.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
That is not a return line , it is a vent for the diaphram ... When used in a Marine application it needs to be vented to the air intake .. combining part numbers and that is the result ... The reason i know this , was the one i bought had an explanation in the package !!! :dunno

DaveN

Well Known Member
return line is 5/16th line routed from the fuel filter 3 hole down the back to the bell in chrome them small hose and steel line back to the tank and connected to the fuel sending unit. correct pump does not have a vent.

Michelangelo

^^ Yep, putting a diaphragm kit in a pump is certainly not a big deal. Back in the 60-70's we didn't automatically buy new fuel pumps, we just put diaphragm kits in them. Might have been (Bowman?) sold the chevy kits for $1.95 for years. Ahh, the good 'ol days. ;)