Fuel return line

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Does the 409 need the fuel return line? What is it’s purpose and can it be run without that line?

Thank you
Jason

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The purpose of the return line was to help prevent vapor lock due to high under hood tempratures in hot weather.
Okay one again the wealth of knowledge here is amazing thanks again. I’ll probably go without the return line.
Or.......the fuel return line was not used on the 62's but were on the 63-64-65's. Sounds like Chevy found out there was a problem in 62 and this was the way they corrected it.
Just sayin'........you make the call!!!

Biscayne409

I found this 2019 thread while searching for a fix to the non-working fuel gauge on my '63 409/425. I tested the gauge and it's good. I bought a new sending unit and when it arrived, I noticed it only has one nipple/connector on it. The catalog I ordered it from says it's for the '63. The non-working sending unit on my car has two. This thread seems to indicate that GM added a return line in '63. Any suggestions on where I might find a sending unit that has the fuel and the return fittings as part of the unit?

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
To install a steel return line with the frame on is a bitch. I ran 4an ss black fuel line from the fuel filter to the sending unit. Haven't had a good chance to check for vapor lock as it is to f'in cold here.

Biscayne409

I have the return line. There are two rubber fuel hose couplers on the bad sender. Each goes to a steel, forward running line. I’ve ordered an assembly manual. Looking forward to being able to find details such as GM part numbers, so I can cross reference to currently available parts.
I’ll call the place I bought the unit that won’t work tomorrow and see if they have the right part for me. If not, I’ll send the wrong part back for a refund and order the one that 64ss409 recommends.

Thanks you!,

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With the frame on, and my ‘63 on jack stands, I replaced the missing steel 3/8“ main fuel line, which had been carelessly substituted with a 5/16” rubber hose from the tank to the pump. Unbelievably, the PO had routed it where it flopped around on the driveshaft and and exhaust.

Replacing This 3 piece line was straightforward especially with the photos Paul shared.

The return line was another matter. It is about half a mile long and twisty like a pretzel. Eventually I it cut into 3 pieces, with the cut just before and just after the driveshaft. Used rubber fuel line to join the cuts.

The return line does carry a lot of fuel, as I discovered when I accidentally cut it while reinstalling the transmission.

The job was way bigger than I thought it would be, but working on the ground was a big part of the challenge.

I would do it over again though - to get rid of the floppy rubber line, upgrade to the correct 3/8 line, and for some reassurance on the vapor lock issues.

Just my two cents...

Chip
63 Impala 425hp

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Murfdog asked for these photos, which Paul generously shared with me

Attachments

• EC1E208B-11C0-4325-B0DF-6751DFCB7DA8.jpeg
    EC1E208B-11C0-4325-B0DF-6751DFCB7DA8.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 45
  • F7F70D0B-9C76-4312-90CE-7A1ADC5ABD25.jpeg
    F7F70D0B-9C76-4312-90CE-7A1ADC5ABD25.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1275287B-DAC2-4569-9953-DF0A6B262559.jpeg
    1275287B-DAC2-4569-9953-DF0A6B262559.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2935D43E-13BC-4A99-91C6-1ABFF7B01C24.jpeg
    2935D43E-13BC-4A99-91C6-1ABFF7B01C24.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 46

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
If you go to an NHRA/IHRA track they don't like the fuel line feed on the inside of the frame in the bell housing area,especially with a stick! Had to move mine in the pits back in '72.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Any one have any pics of the return line install? Is it possible to install with the body on? Hoyt99 mentioned he cut it to install.
Any pics of the correct fuel sending unit with the return? Upgrading a 63 6 cyl car.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a factory assemble manual you can barrow if you like, it will show the proper routing of the fuel lines.

63409impala

Well Known Member
I was going to use a return line on my 63, but then I started to run race gas in it and no more hot start issues. I don't drive it all that much so price isn't an issue.