full floor pan install ??

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
can you install full floor pan with the body on frame in 62 bubbletop never put one in before have put in patches

bobs409

Administrator
I've never done a full pan but I am in the process of doing a 3 piece floor on my 63 now so I see how it all goes.

I would say you should be able to do it. The pan sits on top of the rockers and doesn't go all the way out to the edge so should be enough room side to side. Front to back should have enough room. As long as you can get it through the side window area, it should install.

Of course, I may be wrong... :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Should b e pretty much the same process as 55-57, which I plan to do sometime this year. According to the guys who have done it, you brace the body at the door openings and across, cut oput the old floor, raise the body off the frame just enough to slide the new floorpan under and bolt it to the frame with new mounts. You then drop the body back down on the new floor, line everything up, get the door gaps right and tack it or screw it together with sheet metal screws . Once it is tacked or screwed, you can pick it back up on a rotisserie, if you have one to finish all the welding.
This seems to work well on the trifives and the Golden Star one piece pans with supports and inner rockers already jig welded in place. If the floor you have doesn't have the supports and innner rockers, your process will need to be modified accordingly.
:coffee:

bg64ss409

When I replaced the floor pan in my 64, I used a full one piece pan.

I had the body off, and on a rotisserie, the new pan included the inner rocker panel and the only way I could get the new pan in was by removing the wheelhouse to rocker brace and sliding the entire pan in from the rear.Note that you need the body way off the frame to clear the rear frame hump..

I tried from the bottom, the side, on angles etc. and no way, no how..
I wish I would have taken some pics of the process...all I got was pics of the pan and ways it wouldn't fit..:doh

Hope that helps
Brett

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
can you install full floor pan with the body on frame in 62 bubbletop never put one in before have put in patches

Yes you can:clap with Bubble top cars there is more window room to get the floor through.
I did it with mine:deal I will post some photos when i find them:coffee:

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
thanks bsl409 I was hoping some one had put one in from the top pictures would be great

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanks bsl409 I was hoping some one had put one in from the top pictures would be great

I used a rust free floor from a 62 4Dr post car. I did have to cut the center hinge support out of the way on the 4Dr to remove the floor and braces. I reinstalled in the Belair on the frame and welded up before putting on the rotisserie. Good Luck.:beerbang

Attachments

• 333 heads 154.jpg
    333 heads 154.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 333 heads 155.jpg
    333 heads 155.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 333 heads 156.jpg
    333 heads 156.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 333 heads 157.jpg
    333 heads 157.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 333 heads 158.jpg
    333 heads 158.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 124

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
great pictures I have a dynacorn floor pan it goes to the pinch seam and has back of rocker on it may start on floor this week thanks

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
full floor noway

installed floor full floor will not go. had to cut in two to put in. trunk rear deck is next

Attachments

• 100_0235.jpg
    100_0235.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_0236.jpg
    100_0236.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_0237.jpg
    100_0237.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 71

bobs409

Administrator
Oh I can't wait until I can post floor pics just like that. Looks great!

I have the 3 piece floor for mine. So far, I have about 2/3 of my old floor removed but this winter has been so cold, my desire to go work in the garage isn't on high priority so it's waiting for me to return... :grumble:

ARKAR

On a '64 hardtop, as long as the body is still on frame, there should be no need to brace the door openings when replacing the pans from the front of the rear seat to the pinch seam, correct? I will be installing full floor pans, in halves - left and right. Mine install will be just like BSL409's install, but will be buying new pans, left side and right side.

I can't wait to get started on this!! Gonna be a month or two, but I'm so ready to get it done. Thanks for posting the pictures guys, it's really inspiring!

THANKS AGAIN!
Keith

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
my floor had the rear seat part on it. I think yours did not have under the rear seat part . had to trim in front corners of new floor but the rest fit good

ARKAR

Sorry bud:? I put the used full floor in mine:scratch not sure why the new floor would not fitt the same way:dunno

There are two different "full floors" that can be purchased. One includes the pan under the rear seat and one doesn't. Looks like 63btop's pan was the one that included the rear seat underpan. I've read in other postings that this pan cannot be installed in one piece unless you pull the body off the frame. That's why he cut it. Look closely at his pictures.

Nevermind, he posted before I could type out my response...

Keith

bobs409

Administrator
On a '64 hardtop, as long as the body is still on frame, there should be no need to brace the door openings when replacing the pans from the front of the rear seat to the pinch seam, correct? I will be installing full floor pans, in halves - left and right. Mine install will be just like BSL409's install, but will be buying new pans, left side and right side.

I can't wait to get started on this!! Gonna be a month or two, but I'm so ready to get it done. Thanks for posting the pictures guys, it's really inspiring!

THANKS AGAIN!
Keith

Keith, I didn't brace anything on my 63 when I cut the floor and rocker out and mine is bolted to the frame. Nothing moved on mine but do so at your own risk. (that's just a quick disclaimer, wouldn't want to be held responsible) :D

ARKAR

Thank you Sir! My rockers are in great shape, so they will stay. From looking at pictures of other installations done by members here, looks like noone braces the door openings when installing floors with body on frame. That's how I will do it. I'll take measurements before I cut, just to be sure that it doesn't move.

You guys are a bad(or good) influence, since I brought my '64 to my house, I can barely sleep for thinking of getting started back on my car!

Thanks again!!
Keith

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
if rockers are good there is know problem we measured and nothing moved .my floor came with all braces in it thats why I got it. after the rear deck is in will put on rotisserie.had more picture of floor install but pictures were to big. have changed settings on camera will put more on from now on