Future 409 Build

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ronnie used Scat H beam rods in my current motor and when i took every thing to the machine shop he recommended changing out the rod bolts. They had arp 1800 series i believe and he replaced with the 2000 series rod bolts.:dunno2

Were the big ends still round?
The eagle rods in the 460 after 2000 or so road miles were out of round pretty bad according to the machines. I did talk to eagle about replacing or upgrading the rod bolt and said it was just a waste of money and wouldn't make any difference. :dunno

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most all (especially import, Scat, Eagle, numerous others) rods will check out of round after a minor amount of time. You could probably disassemble a new set, deburr the parting line, reassemble & torque and they would check out of round to some extent. Upgrading to the ARP 2000 series should be a very minimal cost. IMO rod bolts are somewhat overrated. When you look at reciprocating loads (a factor of stroke, rod length, weights & RPM) most bolts are plenty strong.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most all (especially import, Scat, Eagle, numerous others) rods will check out of round after a minor amount of time. You could probably disassemble a new set, deburr the parting line, reassemble & torque and they would check out of round to some extent. Upgrading to the ARP 2000 series should be a very minimal cost. IMO rod bolts are somewhat overrated. When you look at reciprocating loads (a factor of stroke, rod length, weights & RPM) most bolts are plenty strong.
That’s right. That’s why I went with callies compstars. Round out of the box and after hundreds of runs they are still round. Worth the extra in my opinion.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well the machinist at the shop I use just told me he is retiring in February. So if I want my block bored, I had better get it to him sooner rather than later. Had to improvise getting the block on the stand since I can’t get to my cherry picker. I’m going to measure the the cylinder walls to verify the minimum it can be bored so I can get the pistons ordered.IMG_2470.jpeg
The bumper jack worked ok for lifting the block to mount on the stand.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well the machinist at the shop I use just told me he is retiring in February. So if I want my block bored, I had better get it to him sooner rather than later. Had to improvise getting the block on the stand since I can’t get to my cherry picker. I’m going to measure the the cylinder walls to verify the minimum it can be bored so I can get the pistons ordered.
The bumper jack worked ok for lifting the block to mount on the stand.
So how old is the machinist you are using? Asking for a mutual acquaintance!
Jeff

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I’m not sure, my guess he is only in his mid to late 60’s. Or he just looks that young. I’ll have to ask him when I drop my block off for boring. The machine shop is part of an automotive parts business. The parts store will continue but I think he said the machine shop will close up once he leaves.