Gas pedal stop for too large of a carb?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Shorter tires make a converter act tighter. If you're hard on the brakes with a 3,000 'flash' convertor, the convertor doesn't have much room to go before it gets tight .....you lose the torque multiplication. With a tight convertor like that, dead idle or slightly above usually gets you better results.
That was my guess to that I will be able to find a more defined flash. Which I should have had deeper gears (like 4.88) to run that big of tires on a car with a powerglide but that may have hurt me in the 1/4mile. In the 8th mile it might be perfect because my car doesn't have the camshaft to have long legs for the 1/4. It also doesn't have the torque needed to push this big mass hard. I watched the drag race between Paul and I (360vr taken from inside my car looking back at Paul coming after me) a thousand times because I can see when he shifts and when his power over takes mine. By just before the 1/8 he starts to gain on me. I also have a time slip that not only gives me my time but also gives me his times so I have studied his performance as well as mine. My goal is to get my wagon to perform well in the 1/8 based on a good tune and paying attention to details and then drive it on the street based on its track tune.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A swap to a TH350 is too simple and inexpensive not to do.
Brand new 700r4 setting on the floor good for 750hp. I have a drive shaft for it and would only need cross member and kick down cables. Problem is if I were to go that far then I would just drop in my 434ci while I'm at it. I need to learn right now and not break stuff while I learn. I know my limitations and lack of experience on a track could cause me and everyone else racing that day issues. Better that I go slow and get up to speed then go out and see how far I can scatter my 17 spline rear. I want to be able to jump in and not have to think to hard on everything going on to make a clean pass. Once I feel more comfortable I will drop the big engine and transmission in and have some fun breaking stuff. LOL! Its so tempting but I know better.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Finally got all of the breaks squared away today and the test drive with newly adjusted carbs and 24" tires was a blast! I was only able to make 5 passes before I decided it was getting dark and I had better not press my luck. I will say the very first hit was exciting mostly because I could feel the car digging for traction. Also the squat in the rear was real, it kind of surprised me since I had spent so much time with the larger tires making everything sluggish. LOL. I figure I had better put my mufflers back on too or I may attract more attention then I care for. I think I'm maybe half way done with the carbs. I will get The MSD 6AL and Petronix 3 coil installed asap and eagerly waiting for my carb tune kits.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Went out during the day today so I could see what my launch looks like on pavement. Laid a strip about 20' long on my launch. Seems to be able to hold tight on the line before launch up to about 2300rpm. If the track is tacky I can probably hold 24-2500rpm. Anyway, just glad to see the tires leaving two nice long black strips. The small tires have made a huge difference on my ability to get moving and I continue to tune on the carbs. Only have 1 week until show time for the first timed runs. Pretty sure I'll get into the mid to low 9's but really shooting for high 8's. We will see. My speedo is reading over 90mph by the time I let off of it but I know that the transmission gear is still set for the 3.08 rear gear and I'm running a 3.70 gear now.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had someone ask about the rear bumper. Its a 9 passenger so the little steps are back there but the whole assembly has to come off because of a few different reasons. For those who remember, the tail gate on the wagon is welded shut because it has a broken pin. The only way to replace the pin is to pull the bumper. I found some new old stock pins but I need to get that bumper out of the way to fix it. The passenger side 1/3 of the rear bumper is twisted and the quarter panel down low is bent in due to the teen girl (so I'm told) that wrecked the car last before it was parked. Also someone decided to add a trailer hitch and most of the metal mess they created is still welded back under the bumper. Then lastly there is a little odd rust hole that was probably created by water flowing around the tail gate about 2 inches x half an inch wide that I need to cut out and replace. Though pulling the bumper for less weight to race sounds cool, I actually have a number of things I need to do back there. :D

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Finally had a chance to get the carbs gone through. Main jets are down to .083 (down from .086) and secondaries are .077 (down from .095) Waiting for the boys to go to bed to go through the fuel pump and work on adding that fuel pressure regulator. Pop on some new fuel filters and see how well I can make this wagon hook. We also decided it was time to have a truck that could take the whole family when I'm pulling a trailer or our camper so my new tow rig is another rusty burgundy 4x4. Yep she is a used Ford F150 but it does have an extra 2000lb towing capacity and runs down the interstate nice. It needs a few things but the price was right and the timing was good too.
20210428_184447 small.jpg
20210428_115539 small.jpg