Gas tank question

3wdeals

I have a new tank and a co-worker suggested I have it sealed inside even if new? Since it is brand new; I asked the vendor and (of course) he said nothng else was needed and to put it in.

Any input is apprecaited!

3wdeals

Thanks

Seemed like it was crazy but the guy that said it does have a nice old car and it's all new to me.

I'm lovng this site!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When that sealer starts coming loose (and it eventually will) it will make a mess of your fuel system.:eek:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The only time I've heard anything about gas tank sealing is for boats where the tank has a small pin hole. Plus the tank can not be removed because it under the decking. Never used it but have friends that have. They both said it works but both sold their boats a short time later. One said he didn't want to be on that
boat in the middle of Lake Michigan with a fuel fire.

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When welding and fabricating of stock HD fuel tanks I always have used the sealer inside the tanks afterward and have never had a issue with the sealer separating from the interior surface of the thank. I don't think sealing your new tank is necessary though. If you have ever worked with the tank sealers it is not fun. There is a two part sealer and a single part sealer. I have used both and found the single part product to be the most user friendly with good results. Also as I mentioned in an earlier thread, issuing degreasing, I use a bilge cleaner to remove all petroliam residue prior to welding and sealing.