Gassers at Thompson sans Gasser Mag.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
fatride
Supporting Member Join Date: Apr 2003

Gasser event still at Thompson sans Gasser Mag!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a press announcement from Thompson Raceway Park.

Oct 19 09

SO MUCH FOR A HANDSHAKE

Our gasser event will go on as usual except gasser magazine has decided to go elsewhere.We feel that we had gone the extra distance to accommodate them and this decision kind of blind sided us hence the title of this e-mail. Rest assured that our gasser event will continue to get bigger and better each year. Thank you for your loyal support. Ken

Thompson Raceway Park | 8233 Sidley Rd. | Thompson | OH | 44086

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The more I read :coffee: the more confused I become. :crazy So what did the Gasser Mag move to Norwalk if the gasser stay at Thompson?:dunno:?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It seems that Gasser Magazine may have got a better offer from Norwalk but there were a lot of people that liked the old time feel that the track at Thompson provided. I've seen posts on a few sites where people asked Thompson to go ahead and stage their own event and it looks like they're going to do just that.
Many people on this site and others complained about the timing of the Norwalk event. They say the area is popular with tourists so the traffic gets bad and hotels get expensive on the 4th of July weekend. Also, many people have family commitments on that weekend.
Norwalk does have some advantages but I think Thompson looks like a better deal for our group. I'm sure Gasser Magazine will get a good turnout for the Norwalk event and a lot of Gasser Reunion regulars will probably go to both events.
I'd vote for making the early June date at Thompson the official Fred Totten Memorial race and car show.:deal

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The more I read :coffee: the more confused I become. :crazy So what did the Gasser Mag move to Norwalk if the gasser stay at Thompson?:dunno:?

I'm as confused as you are at this point. I think the Thompson Raceway Park will hold their own Gasser event independent of the Gasser Magazine event.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm as confused as you are at this point. I think the Thompson Raceway Park will hold their own Gasser event independent of the Gasser Magazine event.

I'm going to sit back and ride this one out !!! I don't know what to plan for at this point !!! :?:dunno

Bill

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I too vote for the June THOMPSON Fred Totten Memorial Race and car show. With a whole lot of luck maybe the Pontiac will be ready. "Bob" , hint hint we need the block we ordered for this to happen.:pray

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For what ever reason, probably money, the Gasser Mag has decided on Norwalk, but they didn't ask any of the Gasser Racers....... As I said before in another post..... let's support the little guy and get it organized with Thompson.

Ray, build it and they will come.

Dave

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
........... :?:? :scratch Do we maybe have an aluminum block on the way ??????? :cool::cheers

Dave

The plan is to build a new engine for the 55 using one of Bob's new blocks. He's had some delays caused by one of the shops he deals with but he's really close to having them done. He's making both cast iron and aluminum and right now we're leaning toward cast iron for the 55 but we're on the fence, we might just go with aluminum.:scratch
We're thinking an aluminum block would be best for the nose heavy Pontiac.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ok, only 4200 miles roundtrip. I guess I will try to make Thompson if that's what you guys decide. I like the idea of supporting the little guy. It shouldn't be only about the money. Besides, I will be ready to run away from home again by then....actually I'm about ready now but there's that awful snow thing you guys have out there about this time of year.:nono1:

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that awful snow thing you guys have out there about this time of year.

Gee Cecil....... you mean that you are kept in Arizona all winter because the State is surrounded by snow...... That's truly awful..... :roll :roll:roll:roll

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
sans Gasser magazine

"sans Gasser magazine" most likely means that some of the faithful followers of that publication will venture towards Norwalk over the Fourth of July. I understand Thompson to be more of a "local track" and given the proximity to the Cleveland metro area, there are probably a number of locals who will attend both events. Sorta like we've been talking about... but we are more spread out geographically (Ohio and KC).

Since we descended upon them last year and they took good care of us, and they are "little guys with big hearts" I bet the folks at Thompson Drag Raceway would be more than tickled to have us rejoin their Gasser brethren :). We might even get more publicity since we are an attractive draw for the public.

This allows us to have an "early" meeting and who knows, we might even conjure up a "Midwest" secondary effort at the MuscleCar Reunion in KC right after Labor Day. I think we need to move to canonize one of these as being the "Fred Totten Memorial" and my vote is for Thompson (not Norwalk or KC). Once we get that official, we can talk about secondary and tertiary meetings in other strategic locations (KC, CA, etc.) If you want to attend the Big One, go to Thompson. We should all make our focus on that one. If you can attend one or more of the regional events, and they are well organized, then all the better :).

Does this make sense?

Best,
TomK

junior8

I'm new to this sight,what goes on at Thompson?I live in N.E.Ohio just outside of The Hall of Fame city.Also is Thompson the old Ohio Drag City or Meander?