Gear Grinding

wukong

I just put a 409 in my 60 Elky. The original engine was a 283. 3 speed on the column. I have the same flywheel and clutch from the 283 but the bellhousing is an alloy with no access from a bottom pan. When I first made the conversion there were no problems shifting gears.

The problems started with a little bit of grinding gears in first and reverse. I have adjusted the clutch linkage until there is very little "free" spot in the pedal. The grinding into first and reverse is getting worse and now some in second and third. The transmission is fully serviced with oil.

Any ideas?

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Wukong,
This is a long shot but it happened to me on my 62. Check to see if one of the arms has cracked in the weld area on the Z bar. The arm will bend a little at first when you push in the clutch and from then on just get worse and weaker until it breaks.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Also check to see that you are actually getting enough travel. I believe that the 348/409 clutch linkage in a 60 is different than a small block. You might need a longer lower rod or maybe more. If your adjustment is all the way out and you still have grinding issues, I would look closely at the clutch linkage.
Had the same problem on my old 63 SS when I replaced the 327 with a 409. Bought the right parts and it was fine.
Good Luck!!
Ross

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I used to have a 64 SS with 340HP 409 and 4 speed. One day down at Huntington beach it started grinding gears, so I pulled over and started adjusting the clutch. It would work for about 2 or 3 gear changes and then start grinding. Finally the problem came to light, and arm broke off the bellcrank. It was cracked and was bending instead of pushing the clutch fork. I drove by shutting engine off at lights and putting car in low gear then engaging starter when light turned green, shifting with out clutch ala trucker style.:rolleyes: Roy

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used to have a 64 SS with 340HP 409 and 4 speed. One day down at Huntington beach it started grinding gears, so I pulled over and started adjusting the clutch. It would work for about 2 or 3 gear changes and then start grinding. Finally the problem came to light, and arm broke off the bellcrank. It was cracked and was bending instead of pushing the clutch fork. I drove by shutting engine off at lights and putting car in low gear then engaging starter when light turned green, shifting with out clutch ala trucker style.:rolleyes: Roy

Been there done that. Doesn't work to good in stop and go traffic...:doh

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Same story here. I was 18 then and surprised how strong a starter motor is. Also was surprised how easy a 4 speed trans. will shift without a clutch. :roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I had a 68 GTX that had a clutch plate problem and wouldn't fully disengage(grinding). Like Ronnie I was also amazed how well the starter and shifting w/o clutch got me home!

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
just a thought

When you installed the fly wheel did you put in the shims ?

poison ivy

Well Known Member
check that the clutch is releasing, after checking the linkage, check the clutch fingers or diafram fingers are not damaged or worn. poison ivy