Gear Vendors

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Hey I was looking for options for my transmission to get a overdrive and I came across this company it seems like a good option for getting a overdrive with my existing T10 transmission. Here is what I am trying to achieve with my car. I am going to build a mild 409 (350hp based on Jim's builds) I drive the car on the weekends and sometime to work and I want a gear that I can cruise in at highway and freeway speeds with out being at 3000 rpms with the T-10.

I was considering a swap to a 5 speed TKO but I am not sure I want to do the tunnel modification required for that swap. so for about the same price I can do this option. I have to rebuild the t-10 as well it jumps out of second gear. Just looking for opinions and other opions. :scratch

http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I noticed that Auto Gear in Syracuse is getting ready to release their Muncie M22 5 speed. Didn't see much info on it, but it looked like it is close to being ready. Any body familar with Auto Gear? Might be another solution and a easier install.:dunno

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
...I was considering a swap to a 5 speed TKO but I am not sure I want to do the tunnel modification required for that swap. so for about the same price I can do this option. I have to rebuild the t-10 as well it jumps out of second gear. Just looking for opinions and other opions. :scratch

http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

Where are you getting the "nearly the same price" from?

A TKO would cost you roughly $2100, and you could sell the T10 to help recoup some money. The GearVendors would cost ~$2700, plus the cost to rebuild your T10. I'd guess that's a $1000+ difference.
Another option would be a Richmond SuperStreet 5-speed with OD. It should fit in the tunnel w/o modification, but is rather expensive at $3500.

You'd want to be sure to get the overall length of the T10+GearVendors unit and make sure it leaves adequate space in the X; they can get rather long.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Most of the prices that I found were around $2500 bucks for the transmission and then you have all of the little others that go along with the swap to a TKO plus the tunnel modifications and the cost associated with that so that gets the price close to $2700 IMHO. The transmission is not the only cost in considering a swap and I try to look at all the cost involved with the swap and in that respect that cost are close.

I have considered selling the t-10 but with it needing a rebuild it will not recoup that much of the cost a couple of hundred bucks on ebay or craigslist so I think that the cost are closer. I am just looking for ideas or other ways to do this.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I'd expect the GearVendors unit to have roughly the same incidental costs as the TKO; wiring, driveshaft shortening, yoke, speedo cable, freight, etc. If you are able to do metal work yourself, then the cost of the tunnel modifications are essentially only material costs and some evenings in the garage.

Since it looks like this will be a "learning" project for you, modification of the tunnel would probably be a good chance to learn how to fabricate and weld sheetmetal; it doesn't need to look as pretty as a quarterpanel and you don't need to worry as much about warping the heck out of the panel.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Thanks for the encouragement. I would like the TKO. I guess I just spend a lot of time looking on the Internet and trying to find ways to accomplish these projects while I am saving up my money. I do have enough to get the car blasted and primed and to rebuild the suspension (new rubber) so maybe next summer it will be the 409 and the transmission. I have build lots of things out of wood, and am not worried to try new things I am open to new challenges. I am a ways off of this one project in the grand scheme of things. I was wanting to learn metal fabrication anyways so this may be a good opportunity.

Thanks again.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the encouragement. I would like the TKO. I guess I just spend a lot of time looking on the Internet and trying to find ways to accomplish these projects while I am saving up my money. I do have enough to get the car blasted and primed and to rebuild the suspension (new rubber) so maybe next summer it will be the 409 and the transmission. I have build lots of things out of wood, and am not worried to try new things I am open to new challenges. I am a ways off of this one project in the grand scheme of things. I was wanting to learn metal fabrication anyways so this may be a good opportunity.

Thanks again.

Justin- Don't fear the metal work. I never did bodywork or welded before I got my car and feel that I did an acceptable job. You know all the basics from working with wood. Jump in and have fun, although blocking the car is a bit monotonous.

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
The attachements may help as they give the dimensions of the TKO 3550 which is an earlier version but has the same dimensions. The photo is a T10 next to a TKO. Also, my 61 bel air has a TKO 5 spd done by prior owner and I am not aware of any tunnel mods. Another thing in favor of the TKO is the .68 5th gear vs the gear vendors .78 plus the TKO has a killer 3.27 1st gear vs the muncie's 2.20 or 2.52 depending on the transmission. I did a TKO 600 swap in my 70 Chevelle last summer and it had plenty of room although I have no idea if this is in any way relevant. Lastly, http://www.keislerauto.com/index.php?/1968-1972-chevelle/gto-5-speed-perfectfit-kit-tko-500.html this link is a speed analyzr on the Keisler's site comapring a T10 to a TKO.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/attach...c=1&d=1236995090ntid=12093&stc=1&d=1236995090.

Attachments

• TkoBesideMuncie1.jpg
    TkoBesideMuncie1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Tremec3550Schematic.jpg
    Tremec3550Schematic.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 18

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
I stopped at the Gear vender's booth at the Boise Roadster show this weekend and we had a good talk about there product and I got a first hand look at it. and there is no way that it would fit from the back of the T-10 to the X so that is no longer a option. Just thought that you would like to know.

b-d409

Well Known Member
62ImpalaSS,

Another option would be an U series T-10. Gear ratios are 3.44, 2.28, 1.46, 1.00 It's made to run with a 3.08 rear end. The trans was developed to give good power in the first 3 gears and retain low rpm's at highway speeds. I ran one for several years and loved it. It pulled harder off the line than my current setup ( M-21 and 4.11 ), and highway rpm's at 70 were 2,200. I still have the trans if you think you may want to go that route. I'd sell it for $600.00 plus shipping.

Here's a link to the add I had for it on the forum: http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15448

Dan