Gearvenders overdrive?

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Anyone have any experience with one of these? found a guy with a used one that was on the back of a 4x4 dunno if it can be adapted with the correct hardware from gearvendors to the back of a Muncie or not?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It would depend on what transfer case it was bolted to.
The output spline my not match the Muncie.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
According to the Gear Vendors site,on can be bolted to a Muncie with the right adapters.What are you thinking of putting it in?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Not necessirly Bob,but some floor pan work,and a 1 piece driveshaft would be in order.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I measured for one back in 2011 I think, and came to the conclusion I did not want to cut the floor in my car that much. Hone o drive makes an overdrive that bolts to the pinion of a 9 inch ford that looks interesting. They are supposed to be back in business as their website says, but have not had numerous phone calls returned. I would be very interested in one of those!

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Thanks for the replys guys. I am looking at it for my 62 impala, in the process right now of replacing the floor pan, trying to decide what transmission I want to run so I can modify the floor pan now. Kinda wanted a 5 or 6 speed but here they dont power shift real well? I want to be able to run about a 4:10 gear and still be able to cruise at a decent RPM.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I think that's a great idea! With your gears,this would give you about a 3.00 gear in 4th overdrive.That's enough for even a fairly stout cam to be happy at 60-70 mph on a long cruise without buzzing the engine and wasting gas.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Looks like Gearvenders may be out of the question about 1500.00 for everything to convert it plus what the guy wants for it. Thinking along the lines of a Doug Nash / Richmond 5 or 6 speed overdrive, anyone have any experience installing one of these in a X frame car in place of the original T-10? Thanks.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Looks like Gearvenders may be out of the question about 1500.00 for everything to convert it plus what the guy wants for it. Thinking along the lines of a Doug Nash / Richmond 5 or 6 speed overdrive, anyone have any experience installing one of these in a X frame car in place of the original T-10? Thanks.
Dan (tripower) on the forum had a Richmond 6 speed in his 61 Belair that he did himself. I think there was a build thread on here about it.
It was cooooooooooooooool

My dad was thinking of a gear vendors od to put in mums 73 Plymouth roadrunner as putting a late model Trans in them requires a lot of floor fab work. I didn't realise they were so spendy

Steve

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Yeah they are pretty proud of them, the couple grand I would have invested in that would go a long way towards a Richmond.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would message pvs409 on the forum here he is putting a Richmond 5 speed in his 62 convertible and would have the details on what needs to be done to fit it in an xframe car.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes I have a Richmond 5 speed in my 62 SS 409 Convertible. On the road this later spring.
I selected the Richmond 5 speed for the following reasons.
  1. I did not want to modify the floor pan in my mostly factory original SS convertible -its also loaded with NOS GM parts
  2. I do have PS -60o Series Borgenson power steering without frame modifications. plus Power Brakes, Power Windows, Factory Air Conditioning. and other factory accessories.
  3. I do have a original 62 409 engine (380 HP style ) but it is a stroker motor, and has dual upper rear control arms and beefed up original 3:08 Posi rear end and a original driveshaft with a billet carrier bearing.
  4. I wanted a transmission like a Borg Warner or Muncie 4 speed -that shifted like these transmissions(speed shifting). I wanted to drive a 62 with a hurst shifter....(since I have had at least 18 - 4 speed 57 to 64 Chevys over the years)
  5. I did not want a rail shifting transmission like a Tremec or a TKO (they are not speed shifting transmissions)
  6. I drove a friends 61 Impala Hardtop with a 350 HP small block and a Richmond 5 speed and it drove like my Muncie 4 speeds in my other 62's. I really liked the way it drove...
  7. I will attach others opinions on these comments on rail shifter transmissions.
  8. Both Tremec and TKO also require changing the floor hump over the transmisssion - I wanted a factory floor pan, factory original carpet that fits...
  9. My Richmond has a 3:30 low gear and a 1:1 - 5th gear that provides about 2200 rpm at 70 mph with the 3:08 posi. I avoided a 4:11 posi with this transmission.
  10. My Richmond 5 speed fits the factory SS shift plate and factory SS console. We test fit all of this before the car was finished at the body shop. (SEE THE ATTACHED PICTURES)
  11. My Richmond 1:1 - 5 speed is no longer available but a Richmond overdrive 6 speed is available . The note above (from Steve - about the 61 Belair Hardtop was built with the Richmond 6 speed and it fits like my my Richmond 5 speed, it was about 1 & 1/2 inches further back but the 4 speed floor cover still missed the full width floor brace....( I saw his pictures a few months back, but I can't find them again on this site).
  12. A friend made me a custom 5 speed transmission mount(using the factory frame transmission mounts....) for the Richmond (its in the pictures) he made the one for the 61 Chevy that I mentioned above.
  13. I have some more recent pictures of the installation, they are not downloaded to my computer yet.]\
  14. I did purchase my Richmond 5 speed used (with only 1500 miles ) and the modified hurst 5 speed shifter for $1000 from a friend who had it installed in a 62 Belair Bubble top 409/482 cubic inch -2-4 barrel stroker motor car. He actually switched his 62 bubble top to Richmond 6 speed after removing the 5 speed. (again no floor modifcations in his 62 bubble top (he was an old drag racer from years past....)
Paul
PaDSCN9364.JPGul DSCN9377.JPG

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
In the picture above with the body on the frame is the rectangular floor hole is the "factory cut 4 speed hole" for a Borg Warner 4 speed.
The 6 speed moves this hole to the rear about 1 & 1/2 inches.
Paul

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, You and I think alot alike please send more picts because you just made my mind up! I too do not wish to butcher up the floor pan or hump. Thank you again.