Generator Question

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Rebuilding my stock 58' generator 30 Amp (May switch to Alt later) like the look of the Geny.

Just wondering but if I decide to go with a Pertronics Elec Dist will I have any issues or is it the opposite, that points draw more juice :?

No A.C. just the basic power needs. Anybody had a problem with this:dunno
:bow:bow

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
amps

Not really any amps to speak of either way. Generator will be fine as long as you do not have any large amp draw extras added.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks

Thanks like I said I won't be drawing a lot for acces but I may have to slow down if I crank the tunes up:roll:roll:roll

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Additional

Hey what's the weather like out there in Mich.
We've got the winter Olympics starting hear in a couple of weeks but it;s mild and not much snow up in the mountains I guess they'll have to fire up those expensive snow making machines or change it to the Summer Games :roll:roll:takethat

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
solid state

Rebuilding my stock 58' generator 30 Amp (May switch to Alt later) like the look of the Geny.

Just wondering but if I decide to go with a Pertronics Elec Dist will I have any issues or is it the opposite, that points draw more juice :?

No A.C. just the basic power needs. Anybody had a problem with this:dunno
:bow:bow

I use alot of generators on my stuff. They work just fine as long as you dont have alot of current draw, the biggest problem today is getting a good regulator, all the new ones made today are junk I save all the old delco's I can find, I have been working on a solid state regulator and have it on a breadbord right now, plan is to clean out an original regulator and install all my solid state componets to hide them, nasty divorce got in my way so I've had to table it for awhile.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Are they all JUNK

Just got a new Volt Reg from Ecklers same place I got the Gen Rebuild kit.
Do you think it's probably CRAP also.
Still have the original one from the 235 that I was running in it before

Will that work with the 348 I would think so Dif motor same Juice

Might check Ebay for a NOS

Thanks John

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
regulators

Just got a new Volt Reg from Ecklers same place I got the Gen Rebuild kit.
Do you think it's probably CRAP also.
Still have the original one from the 235 that I was running in it before

Will that work with the 348 I would think so Dif motor same Juice

Might check Ebay for a NOS

Thanks John

I can tell you the ones I've delt with in the last 20 or so years (40-50 of them) have been pretty much junk. most of them were not set right out of the box, contact points seem to be very low grade as they burn quickly, voltage output is very very sensitive to heat. friend of mine had a 62 409-409 about 10 years ago needed some exaust work, after putting it up on the lift one day we noticed smoke coming from under the hood, turned out the reverse current relay contact points had stuck in the closed position causing batt current to flow backwards to the generator:doh he got lucky though besides the electrical damage it only burnt the paint off the hood about 2 foot in diameter. I always wonderd about the regulators on aircraft, some of the old airplanes used a delco style generator and a regulator the looks exactly like the ones used on the early chevys. aircraft parts are supposed to be better quality stuff, at least the price says they are.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bench Test

Any recomendations for a good bench test (aside from the ones in the manual)
Got a variable power supply but not sure if it would put out enough juice to show up a problem.:scratch
John:D

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey John, I don't know if it's the same or not but I have the original regulator off of my '61 and you're welcome to it. I'll put it in your pile at Jim's when I get a chance.

Dave

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Spares

Many Thanks, Dave
I've got the one that was already on the car with the 235 and got a new one.
Hope they work OK but I don't want to cut into you spares.
Called Jim on Friday but he was busy, want to hopefully get out there next weekend to see him. Hope to see you also.:cheers
John

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Many Thanks, Dave
I've got the one that was already on the car with the 235 and got a new one.
Hope they work OK but I don't want to cut into you spares.

I put an alternator on mine so I won't be using it anyway John.

Dave

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey John, I don't know if it's the same or not but I have the original regulator off of my '61 and you're welcome to it. I'll put it in your pile at Jim's when I get a chance.

Dave
Hey Dave
I got a pile if you're inclined you can start throwing stuff on my pile Dave.:cool::roll
I have a generator w/PS pump on it, can't decide whether to sell it or rebuild it, or just hoard it.:dunno

Ray

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Rare

Hey Dave
I got a pile if you're inclined you can start throwing stuff on my pile Dave.:cool::roll
I have a generator w/PS pump on it, can't decide whether to sell it or rebuild it, or just hoard it.:dunno

Ray

Hey Ray Don't have power steering on mine but don't let that one go the Originals gen w/ps pump are farely hard to find cause they almost always chucked em out in favor of an Alt.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I had a generator w/power steering pump for a '57 283 w/AC. I cleaned up the outside casing and the tag .It still spun freely so I put it on Fee-Bay and a guy in Florida won it for $350.00 + shipping. DO NOT THROW IT AWAY !!!!!:eek::deal:cheers