Gonna rebuild a 348 help

tman535

i will be rebuilding a 348 250hp. I have a tripower setup for it. My mechanic is very competent however he's only 35 and I need to watch him. Any suggestion on what to do and not to do would be greatly appreciated thanks tman:p

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
only 35?

I'm only 33 but I built mine;) Now seriously, Make sure you use high quality parts, keep it clean, put the pistons in the right holes, make sure lifters will turn in their bores, and check all the clearances. Other than that, if you need help, just ask here. That is what I did and mine runs well. Most importantly enjoy it!:cheers

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Watch out!

Open the intake ports on the heads to a peformance gasket size and taper the ports in about an inch or so, pocket port also, install 2.06"/1.72" valves. Three twos will require a different cam than the stock 250 hp engine and I would bump the compression to 10.0 to 1. Try to find 2.5" stock exhaust headers or get some tri Ys. and that's just for starters. I've done one already and am full of ideas, or something anyway.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Only 35??? He's old enough to have 20 years of engine building experience. I'd rather trust a mid-thirties guy who's built engines before than a 70 year old one who hasn't. You can't always judge skill by age...

tman535

Sorry

Sorry guys I may have misspoke I said my mechanic was good but only 35 I should have said he's good but he really does not like to work on older motors and is into new type electronic systems I ask your help on what to do to make a 348 correct thanks tman:p

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
IMO,,,,,,, I would find a machine shop that is familiar with the "W" block/engines.
There are tricks to every engine and I would be more secure in knowing that the shop has some knowledge with the 348,,,,,JMO,,,dq