Good Use of MY 409

Bowtiegal

WoW!
Comes a time when a few simple words... used together in one sentence can create such a paradox as to steal away ALL comprehension in regards as to what is REAL, and what is REALly SOMETHING

And this FORD/TRUCK/SUV idea?
<OH MY.. he did say 409 also, didn't he?>

This idea here? ...yes, REALLY SOMETHING.
I'm just not sure what though.

indyjps

not real familiar with explorers but I believe the 302 was the largest offering in them, so assume a worn drivetrain then throw an engine that is known for producing torque ( the old truck engine reference weve all heard) and all the hard work to make it fit is chucked through the trans pan.
I just think there is a better approach to what the build is trying to achieve. It seems theres a 409 and an explorer chassis in the garage should they be mated up. NO. can it work, sure.

wukong

OK. Looks like most don't like this idea. What I have is a Ford Explorer frame and 4WD running gear that I can acquire at no cost. I have a Rebuilt 409 that has been sitting in my playpen for over 3 years. I have the cab, fenders, grille, hood and etc for a 36 Ford Truck. I want to make a street rod, off road rod.

I'm not hung up on the Explorer, I just want to put the 36 Ford stuff on something.

I have put the 409 in my 60 Elky. This now frees up the 283 for my hot rod.

I need to replace the oil seal for the input shaft on a 3 speed manual tranny in the Elky. Can any one suggest a source for the seal?

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Hey Boat,,

Issue #2, frame will fold like a circus tent

theres too much metal in a circus tent

you mean boy scout tent :roll

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
This is probably a set up by somebody from the blue oval camps webpages.
Got to be a hoax.
Even if you have no money but do have that frame, the rest will cost more than finding something with a bow tie on it to install the sacred engine into, and maintaining the family line and good taste as well..

wukong

I have the 409 now in my 60 Elky. I think I would like to replace the 3 speed manual tranny with a 700R4.

What problems will I encounter and what do I need to do to overcome any problems?

I would like a floor shifter. What should I buy?

wukong

I just purchased a 700r4 and now have to get all the stuff to make the Ellky work. I can get a conversion kit from Late Great Chevy. Any suggestions on who to get a Floor Shifter from?

wukong

I have the 700R4 and I have ordered the conversion kit for X frame cars from Late Great Chevy. The customer rep at Late Great Chevy told be that they had 4 different manual speedometer adapter with different gear ratios to convert the electronic speed sensor to a manual output for the 60 Elky. Does anyone know what ratio I should purchase?

wukong

The conversion kit is in and the hood has been removed. I will keep the forum advised of my progress.

wukong

I've just pulled the engine out and the 3 speed manual tranny measures out to 16 3/8 inches. With the 6 inches of bellhousing this rounds up to 23 inches. Looks as if I will need to have 8 inches of the first section of the drive shaft removed.

wukong

I went to a local transmission repair shop and told the owner what I was doing and he gave me this gizmo.

Gizmo.jpg

Here is the TV cable hooked to the Carb and mounted on the left rear of the intake manifold.

TV.jpg

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Exploder

WUKONG:.
They're givin you a lot of grief boy!!!
A different idea! Maybe an original idea to improve the "EXPLODER"!!!
HEY, guys....give him some room here. Call it "recyclin".
G

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
GO FOR IT!!!!!!
As I recall, there are 2-3 of the pinion carriers & gears from 35-36 teeth -45 teeth. I'll look in my "stash" (if I can find it!!).
G

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What Problems To Expect?

I would like to build a Hot Rod on a Ford Explorer frame, 4WD, using the ford transmission and running gear. I would like to put my 409 engine in this power train. Can it be done easily? What problems should I expect? I believe the frame is an 86 or 87.

I think by throwing a 409 into a FxxD Explorer, you might find a need to review the underwriting of your health insurance plan, to be sure it has adequate mental health therapy converage, that would cover such a spafoo. :roll

wukong

Here I have spotted the shifter drilled the bolt holes and dropped bolts into the shifter and holes to measure for the cable hole. I hammered some of the tunnel down to make the shifter fit flat and ended up shimming with two washers on the driver side of the shifter

Shifter0.jpg

Here is the hole for the cable.

Shifter20.jpg

I have returned the carpet and inserted the mounting bolts from the bottom. I spotted the holes in the carpet by pushing a long nail up thru from the underside. I used a soldering iron to "burn" holes into the carpet at the nail.

Carpet1.jpg

Since I had to drop the transmission to make the bolt holes. I took the liberty of photographing my mount for the rear of the transmission.

RearMt1.jpg

BTW. SInce the 409 is now in the 60 ELKY any idea with the Explorer is OBE. :takethat