Great Story !!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,, Where to begin,,,

Almost 40 years ago :eek: there was a guy that lived up the street from me that had this great old lead sled.
One day a buddy and I were walking past his house, I think we were about 14 or 15 .

He was out in the drive way cleaning his car and we stopped to talk to him.
This was one of the first REALLY cool custom 50s cars I had the chance to get up close to.

I think his name was Jerry, anyways Jerry talked to us about the car and let us look it over and drool all over it.

The car:
49-51 F**d coupe, Chopped top, frenched head lights, 60 Desoto tail lights (i think,, V shaped) , bucket seats front and back, older Hemi dual quad, push button trans, green metal flake paint with scallops down the sides.

Anyways, Jerry says hop in, well go for a ride !! :D

Jerry never had the car out much and we only saw it a few times right after that.
I have never forgotten that day or ride and ever since then have been looking for this car.

Every car show or cruz-in I have gone to since I have look for it.
It never appeared again,,,,:cry

Well,,, until now !!!:D

Last Wednesday nite a few of us went to the PIR cruz-in.
The big one around here !!
About a thousand cars there that night !!

Well walking around looking at cars I look over and THERE SHE IS !!!

O MAN !! My brother and friends thought I saw a naked angel laying on the lawn or something the way I was shouting and caring on and draging them towards the car !!!!!!!!

There she was !!! Same paint, same everything !!!:bow
A little worn over the years , but never the less all there and all the same !!

I crawled all over her the same way I did when I first saw her 40 years ago !!

I borrowed a pen and left a note saying about the same as I`m writing here to who ever owned her.

Last night I got a call from the owner and he was just as excited as me to learn about my story !

Like all things the battery went dead on my phone not to long after he called.
But I did ask if I could call him back and he was more then happy to oblige.

I`m still high!!

I gotta thell ya,, if this car is for sale I would sell just about anything to have her!!

I`ll up date you on what happens,with pictures ,dq :D :D :D :D

And get this,,,
I`m telling the story to Chip, blown55 and he KNOWS this guy !!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Update

Quick update,
I just got off the phone with the new owner Steve, and hes a great guy !
Steve will call me again and we will hook up to look at the car again and get some pictures.

more on the car;

It`s was originally an 53 F**d convert that had a chopped Merc hardtop installed, 60 Chysler tail lights, and a 392 Hemi, Torqflite trans.

Steve has added a Mustang II steering and a tilt column but has NO plans to change any of the original customizing !!
Thank God,,,:bow

He has found the guy that did the customizing back in the fifties and is searching for any other information on the car and maybe pictures of the car from the early 60`s Portland Hot Rod Show.

BTW,, The guy that owned it back when was Gerald Bartlett.

I`m a happy guy !!! dq

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Hey dq
Dont know if it the same guy, but hteir is a man in San Antonio
his name is Gerald Bartlett
He has a car show kpromotions called Sundown Promotions
I used to show with his shows back in the early 80,s
thought I would let you know
Roger

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That's neat to find something after that long. Keep us posted and of course lots of pictures
Robert

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great story dq, I hope it works out the very best for you. Who knows? Maybe you can be the owner some day. Hope so, what a neat car..........

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
dq, Great story...:clap :clap :clap There is nothing better than getting to relive a childhood experience... Now lets see some pics'...

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Very Cool DQ!
That is a great story.
My step dad has a 47 ford custom.
we have located some of the owners from the around 1963 and the 70's, but we have not ever located the original builder of the car. The car had a small pic in a 1963 Hot Rod magazine and was featured in Rod and custom in the mid 70's and a handfull of other car magazines over the years. Car spent a lot of it's life in Colorado and on the west coast. we don't know much of the history from the late 70's through late 80's
The car was once painted 74 VW beetle green with gold velour interior, was also once named "GANGREEN" don't know who painted it the color it is now. when it was in the HOT ROD magazine in 1963 it had an Olds engine with 6 carbs. has had a 327 chevy engine in it since the mid 70's.

Gotta love old customs with history behind them.

:cheers

Attachments

• 47ford.jpg
    47ford.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 48

uncleo

Well Known Member
Hey dq- Greetings from Long Branch N.J.,Americas First Seashore Resort and 7 time U.S. Summer Capitol....Great story-I think I know exactly how you felt after seeing that car so many years ago then rediscovering it....sent a chill through you and at the same time sent a thrill through you....and instantly you went back in time.
I often wonder why after having been through the ''been there done that'' thing for over 40 years why is it that when I see a certain car coming down the street at the drags or at a show I get that same feeling you had.
Where were you in 62? doing the same thing they were doing in American Graffitti and before that too....couldnt drive yet but I hung out with rodders that did.
Again great story guy because it reminds me ....of me and my brothers Mike and George...Just growin up.
LEE

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks guys !!!
I still have goose bumps thinking about that car !!!

Ran into Chips son Tyler last night and with him was the son of Steve who now owns that car.
We talked a bunch about it and weird thing is I met both Steve and his son last summer at a bike gathering !!!:scratch

This is going to be fun to get together with them at steves house and talk about the car and take lots of pictures!

The best I can say is the car is in good hands and won`t end up all changed and different !!

If I can`t have the car i guess this is the second best option,,

I am going to offer Steve a trade of my 62, my Blazer, and I might even throw in my 56 F-100 and FLHS !!!:eek:

:roll :roll I don`t think he take the trade offer :roll :roll :bang

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
DQ I think that your story hit a nerve with all of us. There is not a person on this forum that wouldn't like to see a dream car they knew about from the past. I wish I could run across a couple from my past and they were just like I remember them. Enjoy the moment because most of us will never have that experience.:clap Roy