Grinder Safety

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ive been working on a few meta projects for my wife for Christmas. I was using my 8" bench grinder's wire wheel to smooth the edges on some small 1"x1"x1" angle iron pieces. My grinder is on a stand in the corner of the garage. In front of several shelves I store my spray paint on. Well, one of the brackets got pulled out of my hands and launched out the back exhaust port like many times in the past 25 years. But this time, it punched a hole in a new can of primer. In an instant, I had a fresh coat of primer on the left side of the grinder, grinder stand, the little bracket, part of the shelf, several other cans of paint, a spot on the floor, dusting on my left pant leg, left side of my jacket, my face and goggles. So be careful of your surroundings. You never know.IMG_20191220_090218.jpgIMG_20191220_090229.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Then I stunk out the house when I took a rag soaked in lacquer thinner in to wipe my face off(no mirror in the garage). My wife called me a half hour later and said I need to come in the house to find out what that funny smell is.:D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I did think about taking a selfie, but my goggles caught most of the spatter. The majority of the paint ended up on the shelf, paint cans and the floor. The first thing I noticed was the solvent smell and I was like what the hell is that. Then the cans hit the floor and I saw primer everywhere. All in a matter of a couple seconds. Now I have to make a deflection shield for the rear vent on the grinder. Probably deflect something into my leg.:confused