Ground straps

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of pulling the 350 sbc from my '62. Trying to think ahead a bit and I noticed, thus far anyway, only one grounding strap. This is a smaller one that goes from the passenger side lower rear valve cover bolt to the firewall. Doesn't this car require 3 grounding straps?? Motor to frame-frame to body-body to motor. At least I think that is what its suppose to be. Also, isn't the body to frame ground strap suppose to be a quite heavy gauge?? I see the battery ground goes to the motor. Would this eliminate one of the straps?? Thank you, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
One ground strap to each side of the valve cover -last hold down screw in valve cover closest to the firewall. The drivers side is under the wiper motor ground, the Pass side has its own has a bolt on the firewall.The ground strap for the frame is on the passenger side of the front frame mount to the body. It bolts to the side of the frame mount then to the rib in the firewall body. All these straps are very similar in size -2 long ones for the valve covers to firewall and a short one for the frame to the body.
here are the three straps -reproduction.
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-ground-wire-strap-kit-big-block-1961-1964.html
If you need a picture of these on the car I can take some.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
One ground strap to each side of the valve cover -last hold down screw in valve cover closest to the firewall. The drivers side is under the wiper motor ground, the Pass side has its own has a bolt on the firewall.The ground strap for the frame is on the passenger side of the front frame mount to the body. It bolts to the side of the frame mount then to the rib in the firewall body. All these straps are very similar in size -2 long ones for the valve covers to firewall and a short one for the frame to the body.
here are the three straps -reproduction.
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-ground-wire-strap-kit-big-block-1961-1964.html
If you need a picture of these on the car I can take some.

Those pics you are offering you be great. Thank you. I can recall growing up seeing a heavy ground strap going from the motor to the frame. I heard mentioned that it was suppose to be the same thickness/gauge as the positive battery cable. I also recall some being without a covering. I just want to make sure I do things as proper as I can. I looked at that link and I'm familiar with those straps. I used them on my '56 and '57 Chevys. I didn't know if anything changed for '62.