Has anyone done a 6L80 six speed automatic transmission swap on a 58-64 impala?

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi all, I am searching for an overdrive transmission. I am trying to decide on a 700R4 or a 6L80 six speed-automatic that comes from 2010 Camaro or 2003 Chevy or GMC pick-up. I've heard that the 6L80 fits on the LSX engine blocks, is this true? If so, is there a transmission adapter that be installed to fit on a 348? Do you know if any drive tunnel modifications that need to be made to accomodate the 6L80?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
6L80 is computer driven and very expensive. 700r4 is close to a bolt in. Hard to do a comparison of the two.

BB1960

Well Known Member
The 6L80 is a great trans, I have one in my daily drive. The 700R4 is also a good trans, I have on in my 60 Impala. I'd definatelly go 700R4 for a few reasons;

They Bolt Up (no adapters etc, just use a 168 tooth flexplate and appropriate starter).
Dont require any fancy computers
They are significantly cheaper
The aftermarket parts available means they can hold bulk power without reliability issues
Tuning the 6L80 trans (yes, they also need to be tuned) if not done correctly (similar to having an incorrectly adjusted TV cable on a 700) will lead to a very short service life.

Lastly, but most importantly, I dont think anyone has developed an aftermarket computer that will control the 6L80 yet (I may be wrong). I looked into this a while back and all indications were no. This may have changed since.

I'm very happy with the 700R4, it's like driving a different car now. I have a gear for every occasion and the overall driveability has improved.

Good luck,

Cheers,

simon

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
The 6L80 is a great trans, I have one in my daily drive. The 700R4 is also a good trans, I have on in my 60 Impala. I'd definatelly go 700R4 for a few reasons;

They Bolt Up (no adapters etc, just use a 168 tooth flexplate and appropriate starter).
Dont require any fancy computers
They are significantly cheaper
The aftermarket parts available means they can hold bulk power without reliability issues
Tuning the 6L80 trans (yes, they also need to be tuned) if not done correctly (similar to having an incorrectly adjusted TV cable on a 700) will lead to a very short service life.

Lastly, but most importantly, I dont think anyone has developed an aftermarket computer that will control the 6L80 yet (I may be wrong). I looked into this a while back and all indications were no. This may have changed since.

I'm very happy with the 700R4, it's like driving a different car now. I have a gear for every occasion and the overall driveability has improved.

Good luck,

Cheers,

simon

Thanks, Simon. I will be pursuing a 700R4 from a wrecking yard and have it rebuilt a local transmission shop.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is one (thought there were more but guess not) 6 speed automatic trans option, but it ain't cheap.
TCI seems to be the option: http://www.tciauto.com/tc/6x-six-speed-gm-automatic-transmission-850hp.html
Or from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-271600P/
A cheaper version also from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-271600/
$5000 - $7500, everything included except install labor. As I understand it, these are built in a 4L80 body which is similar to the 700R4 in size and might use the same cross member as the 700R4.
Further info is probably needed regarding the size as I can't remember the source of the size/shape of the 4L80 info.
Holley has a controller which can be used for a 4L60 but they "recommend" it for a modern LS engine. I would expect they'd offer something soon for a 6Lxx transmission.

If I find something else, I'll let you know.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 4l80 is built on a th-400 type case which is somewhat bigger than a 700r4.Intreasting idea,and the ratio spread is much closer together.

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Know this is an old post, but thought I would chime in with the path I am going down.

I am shoehorning the 6l80 into my 63, which will be going behind an L98 (Local Aussie variant of LS2 - LS3). All has come out of Holden Commodore Ute and I will be using the Holden floor shifter married up to Lokar shifter arm, so I will be able to retain the tap shift.

Had to massage the lip where the firewall and tunnel meet, but the box went in with no other mods and used the Muscle Rods cross member.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For an LS swap, I didn't think it would be too bad. When I was looking and didn't have one handy, It looked like the pan might have had interference with the frame, but I'm guessing you didn't run into that.

The main stopping block/point when I researched a 6Lx0 behind my 348 was, there is no stand alone controller for the 6Lx0 family of transmissions. The transmission controller is integrated into the main computer. Plenty of stand alone or integrated 4L60/80 controllers, but that is where it looks like the after market ends or has been researched.