Has anyone installed 3-point safety belts in their 1958 Impala 2 door hadtops?

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi, I have my car at a body shop right now, they restorer says that 1958 roof pillar is not strong enough to safely anchor the shoulder harness because the rail is too frail, is there a fix to this?

Thanks,

Steve

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Steve,

I've given thought to your situation as I'm in the same boat, but I'm not close to the point of installing anything so I haven't really researched it yet. I just know I'm not doing anything that would attach to the roof on a hardtop. I do have a wife and two young children that I love, so lap belts just won't do...gotta make them as safe as I can in a car that isn't all that safe compared to today's standards. I'm going to do some sort of 4 point system. Just do your research online...call companies...etc. There are a lot of options out there.

Josh

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i have a set like the ones above in the vette. i heard that if used it could cause serious shoulder problems. because the shoulder strap is low behind the seat.
oh well jim

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
I decided on the 4-point retractable front seat belts and rear lap belts from seat belt planet.com in Oklahoma. I will update all of you on the fit.

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Fair enough. Bummer about the 3-points not being safe.
Hi Retro Benny, I'm sure they're safe but the problem was in my case I got different opinions on where to mount it. One option was to mount it on the upper b pillar on the roof-I was steered away because of the force it would put on the roof on impact tearing off the mounting plate and sending me face first on the steering wheel. Second option, was to mount it on the lower b-pillar behind the doorwouldn't be angled right putting pressure on my left shoulder. So the guy from Seatbeltplanetcom said that he made 4 point conversion kits where he would put the retractor on the floor and make a y shape strap and sew the belts in a 4 point harness and snap in the middle. It would allow movement and when I unbuttoned it would retract to the floor behind the seat keeping it hidden. So I bought the set along with lap belts for the rear and one for the middle section of the front bench seat all for 375 with hardware