Has anyone put C4 Vette front on an X?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Has anyone here put C4 Vette front suspension on an X frame car? :scratch

Trying to improve the handling and brakes for my '59.
Seems to be a common conversion for the Tri-5's.

But I see nothing commercially for the X-frame cars.

From what I can glean on-line our cars are 59"-60" hub to hub.

Pre 88 C4's are 62" and 88-96 are 64".

At 62" the width should easily be corrected with the proper wheel offset. :deal
Don't want to use the wider version as I want to keep the deep dish look.

Complete stock used C4 fronts are readily available at $500 - $750

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm trying to figure out why this is a good idea?

Steering?
Brakes?

It would seem that just doing a 605 gerabox change and fitting later GM disc brakes would be an easier and better way to go,, and cheaper?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Why? Brakes, rack & pinion steering, forged A arms!

Why? Brakes, rack & pinion steering, forged A arms, much improved suspension.

For drag racing you can stick in a tubular strait axle, but for handling around corners the Vette suspension should be a real upgrade.

Seems odd to me that there are so many Tri-5, Camaro - Firebird, Nova, TRUCK!, etc. kits and nothing for the X-frames.

NO one has ever tried to make an X-frame car really handle before now? :dunno

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I've been quiet for a while here goes

:scratch Someone does provide C4 suspension for these cars, but they come as whole chassis from Ohio Hot Rod. They are not cheap and to get all the geometry right. If you got the whole front end and graft it in and put coil overs in place of the single leaf and bigger sway bar. I would think you could get what you want with available after market parts and moving some chassis A arm mounting points And racks for rear steer corvettes are now available you could mod and use at the expense of oil pan room.:dunno

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
No airbags! Vette in front only. Jag in the rear.

No airbags! Vette in front only. Jag in the rear.

My neighbor is a metal fabricator, he could build an entire frame, but I don't think it's really necessary.

I have two frames to work with, one has old damage, so it can be used as the test piece.

C4 fronts are fairly easy to find, $500-$750.
Less if you get lucky and are quick.

Heck, I found a whole C4 Vette, with a six speed trans, for only $1900.
If I could get my '60 sold I would buy that Vette for the front suspension and trans, then sell the rest of it as parts.

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Richard,

Maybe try to contact Wayne at 250-835-2070 or boothsspeed@shuswap.net he is located in Tappen, BC. I personally met this gentleman and saw his beautiful 59 el camino that has been transplanted with c4 suspension along with ls engine (a well done work IMO)

That is what he does for a living, he has tools and jig to update and modify the x frame and he also does the same thing on updating the tri fives

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Shoot, Richard !!!!! Time to change direction. Buy the C4 car,, put your 348 in it and you are done..........:dunno:dunno

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
What is the width difference?? Could the C4 frame be stretched to provide a perimeter frame for the El Camino?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
C4 frame?

What is the width difference?? Could the C4 frame be stretched to provide a perimeter frame for the El Camino?

Maybe.

I just found a whole "running" C4 for $1700.
Auto trans of course. :grumble:

The main problem with the Vette' rear is the silly Ox-cart spring across the back, I believe C6's finally got rid of it.

There are conversion kits to fix it with coil-over shocks, they cost more than the whole donor C4! :doh

Once the weather gets really bad C4's should be even cheaper.
I need to visit a Vette' wrecking yard and get some measurements.

I know C5/C6 are a little too wide to work and still use deep-dish rims for a vintage look.

I'm working hard at thinning down my project list at the moment* so I may begin actually working on the 59 again in some way.

*(Oh NO, some guy is selling a Lotus Europa for only $1000, who's my "Auto-holic Anonymous sponsor?) :nono1::scratch:bang