Has anyone tore up a stock driveshaft?

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Where drag racing is concerned, the motto "Whatever it takes" certainly applies. We knew somebody who could break a bowling ball in a sand box with a rubber hammer if you gave him half a chance.

airsurf

Well Known Member
79-86 Mustangs had 4 headlights and sometimes referred to as four eyes. I’ve had a few brown ones and kinda prefer brown vehicles. The one that stuck with me was an 82 that was brown and had Super Dookie Racing on the back glass, it was a turd performance wise. I’ll have to see if I can dig up some old pictures
Had a high school friend that bought an 82 Mustang, pulled the engine, and put a built 69 boss 302 in it. Then he had a gear put in the speedometer cable so the km/h read mph. Ended up loosing control on a freeway corner and totaled it. I have an 86 GT that I bought new. Still all original and runs great. Years ago put a new speedo in it that goes a lot higher than 85mph lol.P1010793.JPG

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
79-86 Mustangs had 4 headlights and sometimes referred to as four eyes. I’ve had a few brown ones and kinda prefer brown vehicles. The one that stuck with me was an 82 that was brown and had Super Dookie Racing on the back glass, it was a turd performance wise. I’ll have to see if I can dig up some old pictures

Ahhh gotcha. Ignorant chevy guy needed some clarification.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I believe I got this from Performance Engineering in Des Moines at least 12 years ago. 1350 joints, heavy duty hanger, ect, 2 piece. I've babied it.... :flag :flag Got the advise from Blue Screamer to go with a 2 piece....forgot his name...RIP. He ran a 2 piece for years.The Ozark Mountain Supershifters run this style of shaft. Some fast stick cars. No cutting necessary on the 2 piece install. Inland empire doesn't have an inside20230425_145522.jpg corner on chrome moly driveshafts and other parts. Works for me.....

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I cant tell on my screen but are those 1350 u joints and will that fit thru the frame without any trimming it looks great
My new slip joint driveshaft stock size tube with the billet carrier bearing has 1350 U joints and fits inside my stock power coated frame.
Driveshaft made by Driveline Service in Sioux Falls, South Dakota (better prices than Inland as I recall)
Its now hooked to a 9" Ford rear end after snapping a posi housing in 1/2 at Onawa Dragway 348/409 race I set up.
Paul

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

Hands down the most I’ve ever spent for shaft….hahaha. I think the only other weak links now are the clutch and 28spline axles. I think I can deal with a broke axle easier than a driveshaft beating up new floor pans.
What do this cost now$? Tks

Reactions: 327

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My new slip joint driveshaft stock size tube with the billet carrier bearing has 1350 U joints and fits inside my stock power coated frame.
Driveshaft made by Driveline Service in Sioux Falls, South Dakota (better prices than Inland as I recall)
Its now hooked to a 9" Ford rear end after snapping a posi housing in 1/2 at Onawa Dragway 348/409 race I set up.
Paul
Looked like this.... :doh 32374.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My new 1350 joint - slip joint/ billet carrier bearing driveshaft was around $800 last year.
Dave, Thanks for the picture reminder of my broken posi
Paul

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Pretty sad seeing that nesting there on the ground Paul.

Looks like the Inland Empire name is only worth a couple hundee..... :flag :flag

Last edited:
Reactions: 327