Have they gone nuts!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Gone Nuts ?

Your right Mick. Since when, are a set of exhaust manifold's worth as much as 690/583 cylinder head's.:doh This is crazy. Skip:)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Wow!

That's quite a lot!

You are most welcome, Toms63SSQB!

You had a near correct 1963 SS, wrong manifolds, now you have the right ones :). It was my luck that I had some extra sets. And my privilege to be in a position to make your ride "more correct". I have to admit I did think about our transaction when I saw that final bid :).

Some day you'll be in a position where you can help me out. Besides, I snuck two beers and some ice out of your cooler for my friend James while we were in Norwalk :). Call it even!

If we race side-by-side next year, you gotta let me win at least once :).

1958 Delivery: Two and a half grab bars, that also cracked me up!
I have the original invoice for my 1962 SS and I think it might have been a little more than that. I'll go retrieve it sometime and show you (if you are interested)

Cheers!
TomK

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I imagine many different people paid different prices for their cars, especially considering how many extras one ordered. But that $2100 has always stuck in my head when my friends parents bought that new Impala SS. It had 283/2bbl powerglide PS and thats about it. Oh and AM radio

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My honduras maroon 380 horse 62 SS was 3500 bucks. Or 50,000 pesos since it was shipped to Mexico at the time! :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Van Nuys build

You are probably right, there would be a range of prices.

I looked up my invoice, it had $2262.95 as the "Price of car", "Freight and Handling" was $145.00, and "Optional Equipment and Accessories" was listed at $409.08. Sub total $2817.03

Then there was "Sales Tax" and "License and Title" costs on top of that.

Total was $2966.71 Looks like the owner paid in cash or good check, as there was no financing.

Not quite the cost of those swept back heads, but close! I asked the fellow who bought a set of mine recently why he was willing to pay so much for them, and he replied that he had to have them for a 1963 SS frame off project he was working on. Turns out he has been collecting muscle cars for some 20 plus years, had a few winged cars from NASCAR and some lightweights (aluminum front end cars).

The closest thing to a "Lightweight" in my collection would be a Bud Lite in one of those aluminum cans...

Enjoy!
TomK

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm sick

When I bought my '62 in 1971, it had fender well headers on it but the guy I bought it from gave my a set of those exhaust manifolds. I lived in an apartment and stored the car at my sister's house. Well my brother-in-law was always after me to get my extra parts out of his garage...so thinking I'd never use them and they were in his way and I was trying to keep everyone happy, I threw them away in the garbage. Boy am I stupid!!!:bang :bang

Tony

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well a second set just sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=180189936619&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=130182645862&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

As of this summer Show Cars still was not able to find a foundry willing to take this product on. As you recall they sold these re-pops for ±950.00 pair and were reported, by those who bought them, to be an excellent product. They have the molds to do this. I’m assuming they also had permission to reproduce the GM design for sale etc. Not sure about the legalities on that. Maybe someone here can enlighten us on that point.

Anyways…there’s an old business saying. “In an open market... profit breeds competition and that excess profit breeds excess competition”. I’m sure its only a matter of time.

Until then.... the landfill idea is about as good as any, although would certainly require an exhausting effort.

Ron

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can make them just can't use any GM trademarks without paying them a substantial fee.
Making them economically is the easy part. The problem you're faced with is that you'll need to commit to about 500 per year. Do you want to have that many in stock, at your expense?

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
While you're there, grab some air cleaners!!

You could always hit the local lakes for them 409 boat anchors.....

At these prices, I may be persuaded to part with one set of my manifolds. Lord knows they won't fit in the safe deposit box at the bank.....:roll