Hayden Proffitt tribute 62 Belair

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
A tribute 62 Belair bubbletop is being built in Hayden's honor. The car is being built by Harold Clay of Harold's Hot Rod Shop in Enid, OK.

Hayden was always Harold's idol as Harold was growing up. Harold has a 30 year successful body shop business but wants to expand into street rods. And he has always wanted to build a 62 bubbletop. So, he contacted Hayden recently and asked permission to replicate the old race car. Hayden gave his permission and the project was started!!

In a previous thread, I mentioned that Hayden had been elected into the NHRA Drag Racing Hall of Fame. Well, I was wrong....it is Don Gartlis' International Drag Racing Museum Hall of Fame. So, now the rush is on to have the car in Gainesville, FL by March 12 for the induction ceremony!!!

Hayden asked Harold to contact me for parts. So, for the last 2 months, we have been on a frantic schedule to have the car ready. I will be at Tony Shaffer's tomorrow to get the engine ready for the dyno. Hope to do that tomorrow or Monday!! We are building kind of a period correct NHRA engine....060" over..11:1 pistons. We are keeping the 409 crank but are using big block rods for reliability. Tony picked out a Comp Cams roller camshaft for durability. We are not shooting for maximun horsepower but reliability. More on that later. We've had a Super T-10 built and Harold got a reinforced rearend somewhere. We'll be running 4:56 just like Hayden. He said the only track he ran 4:88s was Denver.

Hayden and the car will be at most of the Super Chevy events this summer. Hayden is good friends of Roger Gustin who runs Super Chevy so the deal was struck. Plans are now to have Hayden and the car at both of the Hot Rod Reunions.....Bowling Green, KY and Bakersfield, CA in the fall. Hayden will be making passes at all the race tracks with the new car. That's why we want reliability. So if you are near any of these events....hopefully you can get to meet Hayden and get an autograph and take some pictures!!!

I have some pictures of the body in primer that I will post Monday. They are on my computer back at the shop. The car is painted red now and when I'm down to Enid this week, I'll post some of those. And of course, I'll be taking some pictures of the dyno session too.

As far as the induction ceremony on March 12............a man has Hayden's ORIGINAL Comet and has told Hayden, he will bring it to the ceremony too. So, if you can get away in March to Gainesville....and have $100 for the Induction banquet...........you can see some real drag racing history!!!

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
From the NHRA Museum in Pomona yesterday.

They had a HP car on display, right in the middle of the nastalgic cars.
Pic547.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes............that's my dear friend Tom Jacobson's car. Tom bought that Biscayne from Butch Leal when Butch got his Z-11 in 1963. Tom worked with Hayden in the early 60's. Tom introduced me to Hayden in 1988.

Tom was also Service Manager for Gledhill Chevrolet in the 50's and 60's. They gave him a car to drive. Tom had it for awhile...drove it home and parked it at the curb at his house. It was black and white...had 15" rims and fuel injection. It was a 57 2-door sedan. Yep............a black widow!!!!!

Tom was also James Garner's...Maverick..... crew chief when James had 2 Corvettes at the 24 hour race in Daytona. I think that was 1974.

Ah, the good ole days!!!

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Tom drove Sturm's Just 4 Chevy Lovers..and as you know Phil..some great '62's in the 80's & 90's.
What happened to the '62 in Texas..Hayden tribute car?
?

p.s. Tom J. has more 409 stuff AND Z-11 stuff than anyone I know.......

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Tom Jacobson..Super Chevy Show..HAYDEN STANDING IN THE BACKGROUND AND THE TRIBUTE CAR..'89 or'90 in Texas.

Attachments

• 007 tom j texas.jpg
    007 tom j texas.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 220

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That's Hayden, me and Delmer Mcafee in front of the 62. Delmer built that car back in 1988 for Hayden's introduction into the Super Chevy Hall of Fame.

I think this was at Indy. Delmer had the car at Dallas that year too.

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Those pretty legs are a dead giveaway (yikes !),..Anyhow, is that car not available for the '09 plan?
I remember that day well ( I'm in the other lane (not pictured), and had a ball (as always), all weekend with Hayden, You & the whole gang.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Latest news

This was the way I left the engine last night. Have it mounted on the dyno finally!!! Tony will rebuild the distributor on Sunday and plans are now to fire it up on Monday!!!!:clap:clap:clap

Will list out particulars later when I have more time......................

Attachments

• haydendyno1.jpg
    haydendyno1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 124
  • haydendyno2.jpg
    haydendyno2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 128
  • haydendyno3.jpg
    haydendyno3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 134
  • haydendyno4.jpg
    haydendyno4.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 124

Speed

Supporting Member 1
I have original water decals , casler tires..(btw)
that was the hamb thread that went off into oblivion..
I planted grass seed on our va. snow this week.
I rode my V-Rod this am.
Anyone going to the SuperBowl?
OH,,,,Delmer's Hayden Car?

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Phil, I think this engine deserves the CORRECT T fuel fitting on those nice carbs:roll

N_F_S

Here a couple shots, Super Chevy Indy, 1988

Does anyone remember how blistering hot those Super Chevy Show's at Indy were?
J

Attachments

• HP_1988001.jpg
    HP_1988001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 119
  • HP_1988002.jpg
    HP_1988002.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 123

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
520!!!!Got to get it off the dyno and take it to the customer. More info when I get that all done!!!!!

Can't wait to see that engine in person! Harolds shop is right around the corner from my office. Here is a pic of the car as of a couple days ago.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 72

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
520hp with a stock stroke,,, Way to go!!!:beerbang
I'll bet she still pulling hard at 7,000rpm
That thing's going to sound great going down the track with the four speed and 4.56 gears.

It looks like the car's coming right along too. I hope I get to see it some day soon.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Looks great but.....those pictures were taken a couple of days ago and the car is scheduled for completion on March 12th!!! What year?

somebody better be burning the midnight oil, that ain't but 5 weeks away.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Can you say"I've been overhauled" and it only took a week. as for me it's only been a year and a half and still have the hood and interior to do.