Head gastket

33Chev

I have a set of the metal head gaskets with the embossed lines. On a QB 409 engine, do the lines 'hump' upward away from the block as they are layed in place over the two dowels? Thanx

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I have a set of the metal head gaskets with the embossed lines. On a QB 409 engine, do the lines 'hump' upward away from the block as they are layed in place over the two dowels? Thanx

Don't know about the humps. But the numbers or any printing always go up..

33Chev

Hi and thanx for the response. These original style hi perf head gaskets from Show Cars do not have writing. I am sure it is like any other engine build, but need to be sure. Maybe someone out there knows?

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

I just pulled the heads off of my 409 and it had Victor Reinz gaskets on it with the humps, and lettering.

The Humps go up. This coincided with the lettering.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Humps

You want to install the gaskets with the humps up. Be sure to coat the gaskets with aluminum spray paint. Install gaskets while paint is still a bit tacky. Put heads on, torque them down, and you are done

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
spray copper works

Also can use the spray Copper as is stays tacky for a long time. In a pinch use the spray Aluminum paint (not just silver paint).