Headers/Exhaust 1960 Impala Convert 348 (Turboglide)

cowsaredelicious

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere on here but I didn't stumble across it in my 10 minutes of looking.

I'm starting to plan to modify our Impala: first and foremost I would like to upgrade to a set of long tube headers (if feasible or if someone knows a better option i'm open to that as well) and new exhaust to help tune the sound. Any performance gain is a plus but we have a very nice cruizer and a fairly stock motor build.

I don't know the specifics on the engine rebuild but it is a 3x2 setup and I suspect it's a 280 HP build. The engine has low miles on it and is coupled to a Turboglide transmission.

During the mods we are planning to swap in an air ride system as well so please keep that in mind.

On a separate note, since it is noted that the car as a Turboglide in it is there a market for the transmission? It was also just rebuilt prior to us purchasing the car (maybe 1,500 miles) and the only noted issue is a leaking gasket. While it is neat to have something that isn't run of the mill I'm sure there is a purest out there that would appreciate it more than we do.

Any help in sorting out these issues would be appreciated

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With that engine combination,I'd suggest a long tube header with a primary tube size of no more than 1 3/4.As to the market for the Turboglide,it's possible,but maybe some one here has a more positive idea.I think the the market would be quite limited.Show Cars part number 6045[uncoated],or pn 6046[coated] would be a good choice.Don't waste your time or money on the block hugger header stuff,they're about as restrictive as what's on the car now. What kind of transmission are you thinking of using?

cowsaredelicious

Thanks for the info and the PN's I looked at Doug's headers and that was in the top of my list prior so I suspect that's the way I'll go. If anyone else has experience with the 6046's please let me know, it would be my first swap and any lessions learned would be welcome...

I'm completely open on the tranny side, my only concern about the Turboglide is it's scarcity and ability to find parts. We do take the car on long excursions (5-600 miles) and I'd prefer something that could be worked on in any small Midwestern shop if push came to shove....towing or transportation home just once would more than warrant the swap in my opinion. And thought there might be a purest who would prefer the originality. I'm not saying we will swap it out but I wanted to see if anyone has an opinion one way or the other. The Turboglide is smooth as silk and I have no reason to want to change it just for piece of mind.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
For what you're describing especially for trips of that distance,the best choice would be the 700r4.The performance as well as the mileage improvement would blow your mind,and with that tiny cam,a rear gear change would not be either needed or even desireable.We have had members post in the past that the fitment of those headers was excellent.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a set of Doug's tri-ys on my 63, they fit very nice. The only minor issue I had was that I had to grind the rear lower control arm slightly at the bushing area for clearance. I purchased the uncoated headers, mistake, I should have paid the extra for a coated set.