Headers for 348 in a 57 Chevy 2dr. post

Hello,
I was wondering what people have found to work on headers when putting a 348 "w" motor in my 57 Chevy. I am thinking that it would have to be the block hugger style? Any thoughts on this would be appriciated.
Thank You,
Brad

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Brad,I woud say block hugger would be your best choice.I installed my 409 in my 57 in 1981,I used low performance 409 exhaust manifolds,the right side you have lots of room and you have a tight fit with the steering gear on the left side

09pwrd55

Well Known Member
block huggers

sanderson block huggers will not clear stock steering box in a 55. the set i had also hit the motor mounts with side mount conversion from danchuck. I read that that the 1965 manifolds will clear the steering box. or a custom altered set will be your best bet.

block huggers

Thank you for all the ideas on block huggers. For a steering box I have a 670 steering box from Classic Chevy. Its supposed to be a better box then the normal 605 conversions. The car already has the Danchuk style weld in side motor mounts. I am thinking they are small block style and I will either have to totally cut them out and modify or purchase the big block 3/4" forward style mounts. What are anybodys thoughts with this in mind. I was wondering if there is maybe a 3/4 length header that may work from a Impala since I will have to fab and or modify engine and trans mounts anyways. THank you again for for help and ideas.
Brad

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Brad

the big block and small block side motor mounts will be in the same place. if you get a kit to move the engine forward may help. the biggest problem i remember was getting past the steering linkage. full turn left or right, the puttman arm, draglink or idler arm would hit the exhaust somewhere, not easy.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jim K

I was wondering how hard it was to convert your steering to forward of the crossmeber? Would a power rack be possible? That would save modifying anymore oil pans!:clap

Brad, I'm running stock lo-perf manifolds on mine which fit fairly easily with stock steering, I've been contemplating your same situation:scratch Someone used to make a 3/4 header like you were looking for, but I don't believe they are available any more:cry As far as I can tell Doug's doesn't make the 409 block hugger since Pertronix took them over and the Sanderson's dump straight down from the middle cylinders directly over the steering linkage:doh I moved my engine forward about an inch with modified McGauphy's side mounts. Here's a picture I got from somewhere EBay? Anyway it looks like it has Doug's block huggers in a 55-57 frame with the McGauphy style mounts and maybe a power rack? Goood luck and let me know if you come up with anything. :) NUT

Attachments

• b6_3.jpg
    b6_3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 110

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
348NUT said:
I was wondering how hard it was to convert your steering to forward of the crossmeber? Would a power rack be possible? That would save modifying anymore oil pans!:clap

Nut,if you can weld,design and fabricate,you can install a power rack & pinion.I did my manual rack & pinion over the winter,besides the oil pan fitting you have all kinds of room for headers,my 2"headers fall out of the car.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Jim

Sometime when you have a few minutes maybe you could reply here or send me an email describing what you did in more detail. Like what rack you used, what you did to the tie rod arms to reverse them, etc. Yes I love to fabricate and weld, well maybe not the process as much as being able to say I made it myself and it works! :clap (If it doesn't work, I try not to say much):doh :rolleyes: NUT

Headers

I was wondering about the rear dump 3/4 headers. I would think someone would make them for Impala's! I see that the Sanderson headers dump in the center like you mention. I bought the steering box before I bought the motor. I was originally going to put a Ram Jet 350 in the car. But decided to not make it a belly button car! If I find someone to purchase the steering box from me since it is brand new in the box yet I would go to a rack conversion. I see there is kits for that. I can fabricate and weld to since I am a Machinist by trade. Was it Sanderson that used to make cast iron after market manifolds? Were they rear dump? I suppose I could weld up my own set of headers and send them out for coating if worst comes to worst!
Thanks,
Brad

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
made to order

Sanderson will make a header to spec in mild steel or stainless. They need blueprint or sample or picture. Check their website for more details. I am thinking about having some 425 HP manifolds made in tube steel.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nut & Brad,they make rack & pinion conversion kits,but they mount in back of the crossmember.Here's a link to club member Vanst,he has a conversion kit.Very nice looking setup,but still no room for headers :dunno

http://www.348-409.com/photopost/sh...1e842edf80c902d3443ae16&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I use a manual Pinto rack & pinion,mounted in front of crossmember.Nobody offers a kit,I have had the rack & pinion mounted this way for over 10 years.The 57 steers easier than stock,good steering radius and no bump steer when you pull the front wheels off the ground.Here's a few photos of my setup.

(1) 1 1/2" welded to radiator support

(2) 3/16" plate steel bolted to frame rail and the 1 1/2" is welded to it,the 1 1/2" tube is used to weld the rack & pinion mounting brackets.

(3) 1" aluminum bar stock is used for steering arms,the inner tie rod tube is welded to the inner tie rods,7/16"spherical rod ends are used for outer tie rods.

(4) Top of the rack & pinion mounted to the 1 1/2"tube.

(5) Midship bracket is made from 3/16 plate steel a houses the bearing

Attachments

• Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 88

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Please do!

models916 said:
Sanderson will make a header to spec in mild steel or stainless. They need blueprint or sample or picture. Check their website for more details. I am thinking about having some 425 HP manifolds made in tube steel.
Yes these would work great! Fred (SS425HP) had a set of these in his 63 at the convention. I took some pictures. I can't remember who he said made them, seems he said Sanderson? These basically looked like they exited just as the factory 425 manifolds and they looked to me like theyy would fit a 55-57 perfectly. In fact when he took them off his car for a set of full length headers I tried to get them from him, but he had already given them to a friend who was going to try them in his 55! Did they fit Fred? If someone had the pattern for these I would definitely be interested.
Also, didn't any of these companies build headers for this application back in the 60s? You'd think there would be blueprints on file somewhere:dunno
Jim, Thanks for the details on your rack install! I really like the idea of being able to use a stock 409 oil pan and Big tube headers.:brow Great work! NUT

Attachments

• IM001065.JPG
    IM001065.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IM001066.JPG
    IM001066.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Dean, Hayden, and Fred.jpg
    Dean, Hayden, and Fred.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 86

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Headers

Nut, Dean LaPole made those headers. But, he isn't around any more. They were an exact copy of the HP 63 exhaust manifolds.
I never heard if those headers fit his 55. I will ask. I'm thinking they didn't, because I had them recoated before I gave them to him, and I seem to remember thinking that it was a waste of money.
I also think the jig for those headers was cut up and parts used to make the 4 tube I have now. I don't know how they have to go to fit on a 55, or I would tell you. Not sure the 4 tube would fit. Volumn isn't there to make them and make a jig to reproduce them, either. Or they would be expensive. One of the two!!!!! I would have to see a car to know if they would work, or if they could be made at a respectable price. OR reasonable!!!!!!

Fred

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Fred,

I didn't realize Dean made your old headers? I know he is gone and I'm truly sorry for that. I posted the picture of you two with Hayden just so the others here could put faces with who I was talking about. I looked pretty close at your headers and I really think they would have fit my car with little problems, as my car was parked just down from yours at the convention and I walked from one to the other comparing them. Anyway, I'd sure like another chance at them if they turn up available. Thank you for the information! hope you have a great Christmas! God bless you Fred. Aaron

The picture is from L-R Fred, Dean, Ray(fatride)

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
jim_ss409 said:
I don't think anybody builds headers for this specific application. Sanderson makes blockhuggers that might fit. http://www.sandersonheaders.com/enginetype/chvy348blckhggreng.htm If not you might try getting a set that are designed for a regular small block in a 55-57 and then modify them to fit the 348. Headers by Ed sells "W" engine flanges. http://www.headersbyed.com/chev1.htm

I like this idea,Summit sells hooker headers for 55-57 Chevy small block for $161.It might be worth a try if you run out of options :dunno

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Parts

I have header flanges if you want to try to go that way. 3/8 inch thick. And header gaskets, too. Left header flange has the mount for the alternator or generator, too.

Fred

Thank you again for all the info. I see I am not the only person who has wondered this situation. I might have to do the suggested small block headers and modify them with the 409 style build your own kit. I could have them coated afterwards. I will have to check with the custom Sanderson style and check costs too.

I bought parts

I wanted to let all who posted that I purchased some "w" header flanges and a used set of hooker small block chevy headers for a 57 chevy. I plan to modify those and probably send them out for coating afterwards. I will have a total investment so far of $150. I am not sure of mounts yet ant may have to go with the same style as Jim K. If I keep my 670 steering box who is the best person to buy from or the best way to modify the oil pan myself? Are "w" pans the same as other chevy motors?
Thanks, Brad