Headers

William

Supporting Member 1
I have looked everywhere for headers to fit my car, and if anyone makes them i cant find them. I found at JEGS.COM that patriot has 3/8 thick 2 inch tube flanges 737-7834 for 142.99 for 348-409. 17-24 day delivery. With these flanges should i use 1-7/8 or 2 inch tube kit ? Also are the Z11 and 409 exhaust ports the same ? By the way my car is a 23 tbucket:scratch. William

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sanderson's make block hugger style headers for the 348-409 They might fit.:scratch
I'm pretty sure the Z-11 takes the same exhaust.
1 7/8" would be big enough for most regular 409's but I think a stroker would be happier with 2" tubes.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The exhaust side of the Z-11 is the same. I used my Stahls on both The Z parts and 690's with no issues. Bob

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
sanderson headers

If you look in the thread 409 in a 35 chevy you will see sandersons block huggers they fit great. The left side (driver) has a slight rearward pitch to the rear to clear the motor mount. Right side is "straight". If you have doubt order them plain steel and once youve decided they fit you can send them back for cermic oating $150 charge.

Good luck

Big jim

William

Supporting Member 1
Well Guys, I ordered patriot flanges & Jegs 2 in tubes . The flanges suggested 2in tubes but i am faced with the same problem as i was the second time in kindergarden , how to fit a round peg in a square hole. Does anyone make a jig to help get the tubes square , or is it something you just have to eyeball ? If so i think i have a job for a buddy down the street at Hansons racing shop or around the corner at his competor Jim's speed shop, both are good at what they do , but stay busy. I am also looking for someone to finish my Z heads. I think i need to see if i can get in touch with Ronnie.I think he lives about 100 miles from me. I am pretty sure he will see this , so Ron, you up to tackling my heads? :dunno William

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
William, I am not a machinist. Wished I were, but I am only a simple assembler. My cylinder head guy is top notch and has a shop in Lavon, Tx. Will be glad to meet you in Garland and show you the way to his shop. If they were my Z11 heads, I would defintely trust them to this guy. Call me at 903-367-7272 if you are interested.

strangebrew

When I made my headers I just flattened the end of the tubing a bit and turned it 90 degrees and flattened that until it fit into the flange, then heated it with a torch and made it fit flush and welded it with my mig . Voila, It takes some time but really isn't that hard.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i have a bench vise that i modified for that task. other than the BBC, most other engines require a square tube.
on the vise one side, i have 2 pieces of 1" steel that meet each other flat when the vise is closed.
on the other side of the vise, i have a piece of 1" od steel that meets inside a piece i of 1" ID when the vise is closed.
dont happen to have a pic of it ........but is really simple to do. and worx great.

if you wanna ship it both ways to Ronnies house and back........let me know.