Headers

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Trying to remember on mine which cylinder on the passenger side had a removable pipe that slid down in.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Car is in the trailer and too lazy to take hood off. I don't believe I had to cut my inner fenders on my 64. I bought the 1 7/8" headers in 1993 I think from somewhere in california.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Those are mine, and yes, they do require "massaging" of the inner fender, but not as much as you would think by looking at them. And on some cars there is some interference on the pinch weld at the bottom of the firewall. If clearancing some stuff is a no-go, then any set of Hooker headers won't be for you.

427John

Well Known Member
Yes,that one tube goes outside of the frame.Hooker is a "Decent" header,fitment can be annoying.
Back in the late 70's all thru the 80's and into the early 90's,if you had anything out of the ordinary(sbc or bbc in an a,f,or x body or sbf or cleveland in a mustang fairlane or torino) or had an engine swap Hooker was the man,most of the other guys didn't offer much selection.Nowadays there seems to be as much or more choices as there was in the 60's-early 70's.I always liked hookers but it was probably mostly because they were available.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I liked the Hooker headers, yes, they require some “fitment” but like 427john said, they were THE header, and were always better than Cyclone and Blackjack.

I’ve heard good things about the Wilson headers, the Doug’s Tri-Y fit good, if a Tri-Y design works well with your combo. I would still be running the Hookers, but needed bigger tubes and had a set custom built.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My early 70s Hookers had the rear tube both sides that you either cut the fenderwell or I found another set and beat the crap out of to fit.

427John

Well Known Member
If I remember correctly Hooker had 2 lines of headers,comp and super comp the comp was a street oriented header with smaller primary tubes and oriented more for fitting in an existing space than for equal length,and the super comp were more typically large tubes with more effort to achieve equal length at the expense easy fitment.The supers were generally considered a race header that would probably require some sort of chassis modification to fit,their catalogs had long lists of footnotes stating modifications that may be needed.I think the tube bending processes and materials used nowadays has allowed tighter radius bends to avoid some of the roundabout routing required early on.