Headlight Bezels

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Been doing a little reading and I think I might have made a mistake. The head light bezels on my '62 gave the appearance of being painted?? so I replaced them with repo's from Echlers. They are shinny and the fit is ok. I'm reading about the originals being anodized and maybe this is what I saw on the old ones. I'm really not sure but I thought these factory bezels would have been like a polished aluminum. Anyone know which way its suppose to be?? Thank you, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Oh great. More wasted money. The factory originals I took off are in nice shape except they didn't shine like chrome or polished aluminum. I really thought someone painted them but couldn't figure out why. Like a real light, light gray color. The finish shined but it wasn't what I thought it should be. Wrong again. Sometimes this gets real old real fast. If I go out to the garage tomorrow, find my way through this impending blizzard, I snap a few pics. Thanks Tommy, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh great. More wasted money. The factory originals I took off are in nice shape except they didn't shine like chrome or polished aluminum. I really thought someone painted them but couldn't figure out why. Like a real light, light gray color. The finish shined but it wasn't what I thought it should be. Wrong again. Sometimes this gets real old real fast. If I go out to the garage tomorrow, find my way through this impending blizzard, I snap a few pics. Thanks Tommy, Carmine.

They do shine when new, yours are faded from all the years.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I wonder why the new ones aren't anodized?? They appear to look better with the grille. Maybe I'm not explaining properly what I'm seeing on the old ones. I'll have to grab some pics, Carmine.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I wonder why the new ones aren't anodized?? They appear to look better with the grille. Maybe I'm not explaining properly what I'm seeing on the old ones. I'll have to grab some pics, Carmine.
Aluminum readily "rusts" when exposed to oxygen. If you polish aluminum it is briefly exposed, but almost immediately develops an aluminum rust layer. This "rust" however is transparent and forms a nice protective layer that prevents more aluminum from turning to rust. It blocks the oxygen from the underlying aluminum. As a result the aluminum stops rusting. The part is self protecting. Anodizing is a process which actually artificially helps the aluminum rust and build up an extra thick coat. This helps preserve the aluminum from further corrosion due to chemical or other exposure. I am sure your rings got anodized.

As the anodize gets old it can discolor and break down and could explain the weathered look you see.
The solution is to polish the "rust" off and just let the natural layer form again. It won't be as thick but for our pampered cars it won't matter.

By the way steel rusts almost immediately, but as you know, unlike aluminum rust, the steel stuff is brown and flakey. This rust does not act like a protective layer and we all knows what happens... If it did we would have more Impalas on the road...

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I took another closer look at the originals, and they haven't been painted a color that I can tell. They do have some type of coating on them. I really think you can see and feel it. Maybe its a clear like someone mentioned. I posted pics of them. They do need a good cleaning which brings me to my next question. If they are anodized, what would I clean them with so that I don't destroy the surface?? I also posted a pic of the repo bezel. Its the best I could do because the car is almost touching the wall and I don't want to move it. This one certainly shines nice compared to the factory ones. Nothing fits as good as the original including these. Guess I'll clean up the old ones and make a decision then. Thanks all for your input, Carmine.
bezels.JPG bezels 2.JPG bezels 3.JPG

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You may already know this but there are few restoration shops that will strip the anodizing off your old ones,do what ever repairs that are needed polish them then put the anodize back on the part.Usually looks better than the repop parts and you have the original fit.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You may already know this but there are few restoration shops that will strip the anodizing off your old ones,do what ever repairs that are needed polish them then put the anodize back on the part.Usually looks better than the repop parts and you have the original fit.

No, I didn't know that. Never thought it was something the shops wanted to fool with. Might be worth looking into although I bet its pricey. Thanks.

1961BB-Funny thing, I already have that in my cleaning kit. Never thought about using it on the bezels for some reason. No matter what I do with them, they have to be cleaned regardless so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Carmine, you are right about it being pricey, its quite the process to do anodizing, its all labor. I use a Polish called FLITZ. Its kind of pricey itself, comes in a small 5.29 oz tube which is large enough. You don't have use much of it, so it goes a long ways. You clean up the parts with soap and water, then apply, and rub it on, letting it dry for about 5 minutes. Then with a clean cloth wipe it off, buffing as you go. Then at the end clean it off with another clean towel with Lacquer thinner on it, you won't believe how much cleaner they will look. If you do this a couple times a year, they'll look nice. You don't have to take off the parts either, you can do them on the car, but if you do them on the car you might want to skip the part with the Lacquer thinner. I think I bought mine on Amazon.com. at least take a look.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I have tried different polishes but like Nevr-Dull best. http://www.nevrdull.com/
I bought the Eagle One version but now that I see your can, I realized mine is just a rebranded version of yours.
I have not bothered to figure out what chemical process they use, however this stuff works miracles on chrome wheels with the minimum effort.
I have not tried it on aluminum, so I hesitated to suggest it, however it does say all metals, so it may be worth a try.
If it works as well as it does on the chrome, they should consider a name change to miracle polish...

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The anodizeing needs to be removed before the polishing is done.This can be done with oven cleaner in a water bath solution,i did this several years ago and i am sure you tube has vidoes of this process but is is a little messey but works ok.But then the aluminum will tarnish as 61 Bubble Boy said and will need repolished a couple of times a year.Think of the anodize as a clear coat as used on paint,not the same product but just a clear coating on the aluminum.I am not sure how it is put on no dought through some chemical process no for the home user.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The anodizeing needs to be removed before the polishing is done.This can be done with oven cleaner in a water bath solution,i did this several years ago and i am sure you tube has vidoes of this process but is is a little messey but works ok.But then the aluminum will tarnish as 61 Bubble Boy said and will need repolished a couple of times a year.Think of the anodize as a clear coat as used on paint,not the same product but just a clear coating on the aluminum.I am not sure how it is put on no dought through some chemical process no for the home user.

From reading your thread, just wondering if the new bezels can be clear coated so that they don't tarnish, Carmine.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am sure the repos could be anodized or are you talking about spraying them with clear coat paint.Seems like i have heard of painting them with clear coat paint,just don't know how that would work.I would suggest you get a price on having your old one restored it might not be as pricy as you think and you will have the original fit.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Clear coat won't last long on Alloy. Just look at the old Jap side cases on the motorcycles. After a couple months is peels off.