Hearing Aids

Carmine,
Lots of good info given above, especially about seeing a MD first. I have been wearing aids for over 25 years for a severe hearing loss. I think the majority of us forum members are ‘old farts’ also and many could benefit from hearing aids but are reluctant to admit it. Each person’s hearing loss is different and sometimes only slight amplification is needed and a less expensive Miracle Ear will help. Other hearing losses are more complex and require sophisticated and more expensive aids. It all starts with the hearing test. If the test is not done in a sound-proof booth, walk away and find another audiologist/doctor that has a booth. With a proper test, they can suggest aids for your particular loss. Your family/friends will thank you.
Lots of accessories are available also. I used wireless TV headsets for years, but with my new aids it streams directly to the aids. A spousal mic also helps. Inquire what is available your aids. Good luck Carmine.

Dave, behind the ear works best for me.

Kim

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The last hearing test I had, was in the booth, all the nurses started looking at me in the booth wondering how I couldn't hear that. :drop

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
dave
have the docs said why you are falling. if not try to find out. i am getting dizzy when i stand up sometimes. jim

Usually getting dizzy when standing up is connected to blood pressure. Usually low BP. See your doctor as I’m not a doctor.

Fuzz

MAGA

Jim,
I’m with Fuzz on seeing a doctor. Are you on B. P. medication now? If not you may have low B.P. If you are you may be over medicated.
This is a long story and I apologize up front for that. For a couple years my G P kept telling me I had high B. P. and had me on a heavy dose of medication for it. I told him my Blood Pressure at home was normal to low and every time I stood up I got dizzy.
Finally one day I go in for my appointment and a technician took by B.P. It was normal. An hour later the Doc comes in and takes it and it's 150/90. He says "Wow! You're really high today!"
I say "LOOK AT WHAT IT WAS WHEN I GOT HERE!!! IT PISSES MY OFF WAITING AN HOUR AFTER MY APPOINTMENT TIME TO SEE YOU!!!"
He told to stop it for while. I haven't taken any since.
Moral of the story is you may need to be on medication but be sure to discuss everything with your doctor! ;)

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Kim

Nice to "hear" from you again. Thanks.

Dick

Yep. Also my bp reading is more accurate with a wide cuff. Same dosage for over 20 years.

Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
To all that have voiced their concern about my health. I will admit I have more medical problems than most people combined.
I have been going to the Detroit Veterans Hosptal since 1968, even when I did have my own outside MD.
When I was layedoff with no Medical insurance, I had to use the VA as my primary means of health care, but as I’m rated as 100% all has worked fine.
The VA does a great job with my health care, the only complaints is wait time and the number of different clinics I see.
Since I’ve been going to the VA so long I know how the VA system works. I’ve only had to complain 2 times about primary physicians care and both times the VA just transferred me to another. One I couldn’t hear or understand what she was saying and the other I didn’t like his medical mannerisms. Others must have had the same problems as he didn’t last working at the VA.
As for my falls, it has been my fault by me not watching where I was going or watching the environment conditions, not because of a medical problem.
Dave

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry to hear you have several medical issues Dave. Hope you do well with them. My father was a veteran of WW2. Even though he had insurance through his employer, when he needed treatment, he preferred the local veterans hospital. Apparently he felt more comfortable there. I took him there several times and they always gave him great treatment. As mentioned, the wait was sometimes long, but at least he was treated. There is a veterans hospital close to me. On or about July 4th of every year, a local car club that I'm a member of, will go to this veterans hospital and put on a holiday picnic for the veterans. We help with wheeling them out, sometimes in beds and will take their food order. Some we even feed. It's the least we can do for the sacrifices these fine people made. I'm not a veteran myself, but I have a great deal of respect for them. I enjoy doing what I can when I can to help them, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Dave
I'm happy to hear you are satisfied with your VA treatment. We need to spend what ever it takes to provide good medical care to those who served.

Nice to meet you in Great Bend.

Last edited:
Carmine, Dave
No experience with Beltone or Miracle Ear. I have had Siemens and Phonak. Didn't like Siemens but the Phonaks were good, just old. My new ones are Oticon. They are behind the ear also but much smaller than previous ones. Am waiting for new ear molds and hope it will improve performance.
Anyone else considering hearing aids..... If you are a vet and think your hearing loss might be service related, talk to the VA. Worked for me.
Kim