Heat sensitive 409's! Is that why there are so few left?

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Kevin.....the original valves were two piece. The head and stem were separate and..I've been told...they were assembled and then spun in opposite directions to "heat weld" them together. That's why the "new" one piece valves of today are so much better. Never use an original valve in any rebuild.

Wow. That's news to me.....would you trust stock 50-year-old valves in a 409/340 with a stock cam/stock valvesprings? Not gonna rev it hard. Sorry to hi-jack.....

Michael post some pics of both your 63's man I'd like to see em:cool:

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
I was wrong was not a valve stem so no piston damage. It was a stem under the intake manifold. One was bent one looked like a question mark.

We removed passenger side valve cover and the second valve from the front the stem was missing, presumed broken. Must have fallen down. No pieces or metal except found that on the third spring from the front of the engine (same side) the circular piece that holds the spring in place had broken in half and was resting on the head next to the spring.

So, what was this "circular piece" ( read... valve spring retainer ) ?
If that was in fact broken in half... you have problems.

BTW, Have you had any stock 2 X 4 barrel intakes in the past ?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A lot of 348-409 parts are overpriced, in my opinion, however, a new set of stainless one-piece valves are very affordable. I think about $160. Money well spent.

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
I have a stock aluminium single 4 barrel intake #'s 3814678 I bought it to replace stock cast manifold for a 64 409 motor but it did not line up. So I did not use it.

If a valve spring retainer broke, then the valve fell in the cylinder. Not good. REALLY not good.
If it's an exhaust valve, then the cylinder wall itself, may help prevent it from falling all the way in... but VERY little chance that it didn't bend, damaging the d]seat.
Pushrod ?
My opinion, a by-product of the retainer castastrophe.

Yes, Dwight !... good customer, bought my pistons, cam and stuff.
I just thought thast you may have had a couple 2X4 intakes in the past:dunno

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here are a couple of pictures that Michael sent me to share with you guys...

This looks good...

This doesn't look good at all...

Michael, hope you get this all sorted out soon
Bill

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Bill, See if you can get a pic posted of the broken retainer. Apparently the valve keepers stayed locked in and the valve did not fall in for a smack down.:eek Leo

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Bill, See if you can get a pic posted of the broken retainer. Apparently the valve keepers stayed locked in and the valve did not fall in for a smack down.:eek Leo

I think you are right. The half that was left stayed in place. t The other half fell amazingly right next too the valve spring where it broke! The valve appears to not have fallen. I was so distraught I did not take a pic of the broken retainer.

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
How the hell does that happen??:scratch Cool 63 tho looks good:cool:
I was reading an article (of course after the fact) It said 20% rods and stems are faulty. But not that many fail in applications right away. Maybe I was lucky it happened now than later when I was using the engine not just "breaking" it in. Excuse the pun.:dunno The mechanic who built this engine is at least sticking by his work and making the repairs. I did pay alot for the rebuild but now it seems to be paying off.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Michael,

If you want to send me other pictures, I'll be happy to post them for you. It's good news that the engine builder is standing behind the build. :beer In todays business community you can not always says that.

Bill