Heater core 62 Impala no a/c.

Woody62

Well Known Member
Looking to tackle the heater core today in my 62. Wondering if I should go at it from inside the car or through the fire wall? Also what kind of ( surprises) am I in for? Thanks.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Paul[pvs409] will likely chime in.If anybody knows the ins and outs of a 62 on this site,It's him.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
For non factory air 61 and 62's heater core removal
  • Drain the radiator first.
  • the heater core is inside the black painted heater box that also operates as a heater distribution box under the dash
  • This heater box has one long hex nut on the drivers side of it that hold a suspended end of the black painted box -remove that long coarse thread screw and its sleeve that holds it away from the firewall (note how it was installed)
  • The heater core is inside this black painted box under the dash with 2 brass pipe connectors through the firewall for heater hoses (two sizes of heater hoses 5/8 inch and 3/4 inch from the core to the engine)
  • You remove both heater boxes by removing the hex nuts on 6 studs that stick through the firewall from the box inside the car. These 6 studs with hex nuts(3 studs on the top and 3 on the bottom) also hold a black painted under the hood air distribution cover that hooks to the heater fan under the fender with a clamp connection between the fan motor cage and the one with the 6 studs through it. Remove the clamp (its held together by one hex nut on the bottom of the clamp).
  • If your car is original one of the studs holding heater box to the firewall nearest to the engine will have a "L type clamp" on it to hold the starter wiring harness. That clamp needs to be reinstalled when the heater core is reinstalled.
  • The firewall black cover with the 6 studs through it has on the top of it the heater control valve with 2 hoses connected to it. Note the hose routing and the hose sizes.
  • All the heater parts that I have noted have seals on them to the firewall and all joints and you may have to replace these seals with a reproduction heater seal set that is sold by a number of suppliers.
  • Also more than likely you will not be able to get the heater hoses off the connections under the firewall without cutting slits in them to get them off the pipes (they get stuck to the brass pipes on the heater core and the heater valve) -Do not cut on the pipes and damage the surfaces where the hoses mount -cut away from the heater and control valve pipes -this is so you won't mark slits in the metal. Also the pipes need to remain round and not dented or flattened. I have my radiator shop fix them if they are damaged.
  • Once the hex nuts removed under the hood and the fan cage disconnected and the heater hoses removed remove the under hood cover and the larger under dash box --the 6 studs will catch on the firewall holes so pull side to side and top to bottom to remove the box.
  • Once the box is removed there are a number off small hex screws that hold the box together. Remove these hex screws and the box will separate into 2 halves. Remove the heater core from its mount inside the box - it is mounted with two clamps on the end of the heater core that have small hex nuts to the mounting bracket with the 6 studs.
  • For replacement of the heater core, I a number of incorrect correct heater cores sold (without checking these items: ----that the heater cores are the exact size of the original core and have the same factory ends on the heater core with the correct brass heater hose connection pipes through the firewall (like the originals) .
  • here is a correct looking one from Speedway motors https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heater-Core-for-1962-Chevrolet-Impala,73923.html I am not sure who makes this core -probably overseas.
  • I have purchased new heater cores for around $50 to $ 60 vs around $ 100 like the link above and changed the ends of the new core if necessary as shown in the next bullet item. Or I buy them from my local radiator shop.
  • I have found the correct size heater cores and purchased a new core: Then I had to have the original heater core ends added to the "new heater core" by my radiator shop. I made sure the new heater core was the same length, width and height as the original.
  • I also have my heater control valve from under the hood pressure checked for leaks and operation by my local radiator shop before reinstalling the heater boxes.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Actually learned how to type in 8th/9th grade never forgot how. :write
:read I doubt that schools teach how to type now...:dunno

I have to watch out for the Phil the famous golf cart driver :driver

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
yes take your time when you get the large heater box off the car and even before you remove items take some pictures to help you on reassembly.