Heating your garage. Let's talk...

bobs409

Administrator
Wow Ray, that looks like a nice unit! (and expensive) :D

I just got a reply back about the Siesco. I gave them the specs of my garage; size, insulation type and my desired heat temp, etc:

Bob,
I can help with your project.
I would be happy to help you design and size a Seisco Micro Boiler for your
project but first I should introduce myself. My name is Keith Kelley and I own
specialty wholesale distributing company providing the highest quality
hydronic/radiant floor heating components on the market today.
For your 728 sq ft garage I would use the Seisco SH-09 at 30,710 btus/hr. A quick
heat loss based on your info and use came up to be about 18,000 btus/hr.
Buy using the SH-09 you will be able to raise the temp to 65F if need.
Here is a link to our site for the Seisco SH-09
http://www.radiantandmore.com/seisco-sh09-microboil.html
Also you will need the mechanical equipment for your system, again here is a link to
the kit that will work the best for your project.
http://www.radiantandmore.com/kits-only-no-boiler-05.html
The kits are easy to put together if you enjoy soldering. Very good documentation in
included with very kit.
We stock both the Seisco units and the mechanical kits.
I would estimate shipping to be about $35.00 for both the Seisco unit and the
mechanical Kit.
Let me know if you have any questions. 612-221-3438
Keith

Well, better go read up some more...

Bob

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I just had a natural gas heater installed in my garage yesterday. Heater and install about 1000.00 I got a 75,000 but heater from Menards. Nice and quiet too! Now I can work on my 62 in the winter time too. :clap It is a Beacon Morris ceiling mounted heater. Nice and out of the way. I could have installed it my self and saved a few $$$ but it was cold out there. Now it's warm.MMMMMMMM heat is good!I have the thermostst set at 75.

Stick62

Well Known Member
When the slab of concrete hits the determined temp, they will shut off. Just because you have 40 gallons of water in a tank is not going to make that happen any faster and it's not going to make it run less. If anything, it will make it run more as there is more water to heat and maintain.

A hot water heater is going to constantly be keeping that 40 gallons of water hot in that tank. With a tankless, it only runs when needed and only heats the water in the floor.

Bob

BOB----- This makes sense. So theoretically then, you only need a hot water heater that holds the amount of water the pipes in the floor will use? Correct? And as for a regular hot water heater not working, now that it's explained I can also see that. The one for the radiant floor is MADE to cycle a LOT of need be... is this right? No tank, it jus cycles on when the floor water temp goes down?
Last thing.... My buddy used to get his garage to 70. The guy said something about 68 to you. Why no higher? Just curious. Now that you posted more how this works and I read a little on his site. it sounds good. Initially, I, like Jester, said get a bigger water heather than you need. Now I understand that doesn't seem to be needed. However, can you get more BTU's than needed, to be able to reach a higher temp?

Mark

bobs409

Administrator
Mark,

The SH series I'm looking at is actually called a boiler and not just a hot water heater. (they also have unit just for hot water use) It's specifically made for radiant floors so will cycle as needed.

The reason he mentioned it can go up to 65 is that when I wrote them, I mentioned that I probably would want about 50 degrees for a setting so with the SH-09, that will accomplish that and go up to 65 with my garage specs.

They have much larger units all the way up to SH-28. Here's the specs on that monster:

BTUh Output - 95,560
Breaker 4-40 Amp

Wire Required - 4 pair #8 cu with ground
Current Rating - 116 Amps
4 Chambers
23 lbs
Elements = 4x7000w

I'm still learning but it does sound pretty good. :brow

Bob

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds Good, the only thing I forgot to tell you was to check to see what antifreeze you can run in there. You don't need much. Just enough to keep it from freezing solid in the event the power goes out when you on vacation or something. A little bit will of antifreeze will let it turn to slush but not solid.
Good luck .

bobs409

Administrator
Sounds Good, the only thing I forgot to tell you was to check to see what antifreeze you can run in there. You don't need much. Just enough to keep it from freezing solid in the event the power goes out when you on vacation or something. A little bit will of antifreeze will let it turn to slush but not solid.
Good luck .

They mentioned RV antifreeze so will probably go with that.

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, today it hit 58 here so I opened the garage windows and doors to warm it up in there. Bad thing is everything is now dripping wet from condensation! :cuss

A nice change from the 20-30's. :bow

Bob