heavy sigh Winter's here

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Their calling for up to 6" tonight into tomorrow then changing to rain by tomorrow afternoon in my area. 5° this am and in the 40s tomorrow.:dunno

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
As James mentioned, on Friday we got a freezing rain that glazed the roads. I left the Manshed at about 12:00 noon to zip home for lunch. It took me over an hour to go less than six miles. It wasn't so much my driving, it was the Jamokes out there sliding all over and getting sideways. I used the main roads, thinking they would be more clear, but of course they just had more of the noontime traffic. I got about a mile from home and realized there were at least two vehicles ahead of me that were having traction issues. Both were Suburbans. One got sideways and tried to bull itself out of there, only to exacerbate the situation. She got sideways in Broadway and blocked traffic going both ways. After sitting there four cars and 100 yards away, I realized it could be a while, so I pulled off a side street, parked my car, and walked home. It was slippery on foot all the way but I made it home OK. The City had cleared the roads by 7:00 PM, and unbelievably the temps rose to 35, so I trekked back out and drove her back home. When I got to my house I saw at least two cars stuck in the yard across the street (they were off road) and helped them to get free and on their way.

Today, Saturday, the temps are above freezing, but I know that's going to change. I'm looking at projects in my house, not planning on travelling for a few days...

Think it's time to play in the basement!

TomK