HEI for a 348

donsz

Well Known Member
I have my 1965 348 at the machine shop for rebuilding. Meanwhile I'm looking to acquire some parts that would be either new or an upgrade when I re-assemble the engine. I would like an HEI distributor instead of the original. It seems like they are a little hard to find for 348/409 engines. I have one for a small block, but I'm guessing that doesn't work for the 348. Any ideas for sources and what works best would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
don

chuckl

Well Known Member
I have my 1965 348 at the machine shop for rebuilding. Meanwhile I'm looking to acquire some parts that would be either new or an upgrade when I re-assemble the engine. I would like an HEI distributor instead of the original. It seems like they are a little hard to find for 348/409 engines. I have one for a small block, but I'm guessing that doesn't work for the 348. Any ideas for sources and what works best would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
don

I used the original 62 348 distributor with a Mallory Unilite conversion. Works good, looks original, more than enough fire for a cruiser motor. Chuck

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
MSD make one for 348/409 cost over $400.00

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
couple of options
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-D...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2580e34d59&vxp=mtr
You can use this to trigger a MSD 6 box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-59-60-61...Parts_Accessories&hash=item232d951698&vxp=mtr
Use the SBC distributor. I think it pumps too much oil into the lifter galley.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-64-63-62...Parts_Accessories&hash=item232d1a70a9&vxp=mtr
Look on Ebay, there are even more. I use a large coil in cap HEI to trigger the MSD 6a. Used to carry a spare just in case. 5 years later I sold the spare.

BB1960

Well Known Member
I had a procomp disy, was a piece of junk. I ended up buying an MSD one and haven't looked back since. I had nothing buy problems (serves me right) with the procomp one. One problem being spark scatter/cross fire when used in conjunction with a 6al2. MSD with the cap-adapt fixed my problems. Worth spending the extra money. The procomp one I bought came from show-cars.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am not sure right now. I am attempting to recurve it. I am having some problems and I am not sure if its the distributor, carb, or me, so it really wouldn't be fair to give an opinion just yet.

Jeff

HOTROD HEI

Thanks,
don

Give Classic Enterprises in NJ a call......609-646-7032

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I did a conversion on the stock 348 distributor using just as a trigger and use aMSD 6-AL box mounted under the dash. I wouldn't use a SB/BB distributor with a sleeve. I think some other members here have tried using the sleeve and they had some oil pressure/distribution issues. Also I dont think you can't run the HEI big cap if your running 3X2 or 2X4.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
When I bought my 62 409/409 in early 1962 it had dual point distributor with no vacuum advance. After about a year I changed distributors to vacuum advance and my opinion is vacuum advance is much better for street driving.

With modern ignition I can look back to when I was using points and stock type coil and say that old ignition system was barely adaquate for street and totally inadaquate for performance use compaired to the ignition systems we have available now.

I have now up graded my 409 powered 55 T-Bird to stock distributor with vacuum advance with Pertronix Ignitor that triggers a 6AL box and am happy with this setup.

I suppose the Pertronix systems are fine for street use but they are not Capacitive Discharge systems like the 6AL type systems so the spark will drop at higher RPM. I don't think HEI is Capacitive Discharge. My 6AL box puts out spark you could damn near arc weld with.

32chevy348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I used a stock distributor took the points out and installed a Pertronix Ignitor for a small block and it works fine.Has anyone tried the Hunt self contained distributor that looks like a Mag ?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
BB1960, after I figured my problem :bang, I like the distributor fine. It will run right out of the box for most basic set ups, cannot say for all out racing though.

I agree with Clyde about the effectiveness of a points system, and I did change mine, however I still like points, and would use them for most stock applications.

I have a Pertronix LS ( lobe sensing ) unit that I used it for about 300 miles. Seemed to work fine. The nice thing is it drops right in, no ring to install, no taking apart the distributor. When I upgraded the whole distributor I purchased the Ignitor III came with it.