Hello everyone! From a super pumped new 65 Impala Vert owner!

As some of you have already commented and viewed the post put up last week by my incredibly generous and talented little brother Doug, tcb-1, My name is Don and I own a beautiful 1965 Impala Convertible plain jane like with a 6 cyl and three on the tree, bench seat but the important part is.... the top drops! Doug helped me check this out and get it to his home after I won the auction to nab it. I had every intention to do an LS swap, change to a newer 4 speed and convert to floor shift, drop it, bag it, bucket seat the front. That's what I was thinking about, haven't totally ruled it out but after doing some very superficial checking, this seems to be a fairly rare rig. And after driving it, it is so solid and tight, had it up to 80MPH with room to spare and sailed down the road effortlessly! Looks to be original paint with lots of little pecks and pings but for most part very well cared for. There has been some small areas of repaint and small dent fixes in the past. Very little if any rust, trunk and floors are original solid and uncut. Interior is immaculate! So big decisions and I appreciate all the comments on Doug's post. I live in Poplar Bluff, MO and am a CRNA so anything I do I have to illicit help and advice from the motorhead crowd hence my presence here. I just got rid of a 1970 Blazer that I did a complete restoration job on and I was a frequent flyer on a related internet forum, 67-72 Chevy trucks.com So I will have questions and I will post pics. Thanks and so glad to be here! this car is one of my dream cars!!!

P8260136.JPG P8260137.JPG P8260139.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bobs409

Administrator
Ooh! First pics with the top down. :D Looks even better this way.

I'm mostly a purist so happy your considering staying stock. Only you can make the final decision though, you pay the bills not us. ;)

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Don. I have all kinds of ideas about your car, however you should build it or keep it the way you want it. And like many people who hold onto motorcycles or cars, they sometimes take on different personalities from time to time. Some keep them stock for a long time, then change them, and years later change them back. I am sure what ever you do will be fine. You already have a great car to start with so just let it flow naturally, you will know in your heart where you want to be with it.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey, looky here! A family reunion! Gang this is my big brother, and someone I've looked up to since I can remember. He's proudly served our country for 24 years and retired Lt. Colonel (Air Force Reserves). When he asked me to go and look at a potential buy, I was flattered he trusted me. He had a love for '65's since his high school days and I think has secretly been planning this Impala buy for a while ;)

After he arrived in town to pick her up last Friday, he took me for a ride. You guys should had to have seen the smile on his face, priceless. As he explained, the car drives like a champ and the 6 has surprisingly nice acceleration. Our dad had a '66 C10 that had a 250 6 with a column shifted three speed in it. Both Don and I hated driving it.... it's funny now both our Impalas are 6 with 3 speeds as well. I told Don out of all the Impala groups out there, I felt at home here and asked him to join. Glad you are here big brother!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Nice looking 65 love the wheels, a W would be an easy bolt in even if you kept the 3 speed,,,,,:clap:clap:clap

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are so lucky to find a nice un butchered 65 vert. I told my wife I would sell both my 65 hardtops if I can find a decent convertible. I have had 2 in the past one was a plane jane 283 glide car and the other one was a 325hp 396 turbo 400 power window and air conditioned ss, boy I kick myself in the ass for getting rid of that one but that was 20 years ago and I wasn't so smart then.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
TCB1 it is very similar to how I ended up with this 65. I was in the middle of a frame off restoration on a 67 Le Mans convertible, when my little brother, ( 3 years ) said to me one day, what are you doing? All you have talked about our whole lives is 65's, you have had 3 others, why don't you just go get another one. So I did. I too have loved 65's since high school so here I am again. Your brother has a nice car, and we are glad to have him here.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Congratulations, and as I said in a previous post, I wouldn't change a thing except MAYBE a split manifold with nice mufflers.

Lonnie