Hello from Shawnee, KS - 1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Doug.....from what I've heard.......anything Phil says needs to be taken with a grain of salt! !!!!! Question......your buddys have their own fishing poles.....where's yours? ????!!

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ha! If you look close, I was holding on to their hoodies trying to keep them from falling in! Those boys are fearless, just about drives their old man up the wall!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hopefully you'll be able to pass your treasures down to those boys one day. My oldest spent a bit of time underneath my '61 back when I was dismantling her (the car). Fun times!

That is one solid 1961 Chevy! I wish mine were that solid :). The left front fender does have a bit of crud on it, they capture mud and such up there and often rust. The main spots for corrosion seem to be the rockers, the lower quarters, especially the wheel lip and lower front fenders. The section you see when you open the trunk, where the frame kicks upwards, that part gets a lot of corrosion as well. Your floor pans look awesome!

I might have a LH replacement fender if you are interested, I'd have to look. I do have a 1961 date coded 305 horse 348, but that is pledged to another member here :).

I had my first 1961 Chevy (a four door Belair) in 1967 and it had "factory rust" on it way back then (Cleveland, OH used lots of salt on their roads so all cars had "factory rust" as we called it). Both my front fender caps were totally corroded. Back then they made fiberglass caps so I cut out the old and replaced with those caps. My first bodged attempt at bodywork (not to be my last!).

Cheers!
TomK

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, to the crazy house, tcb-1. That 61's in fine shape.:doh Something, us northeast car guys, can only dream about.:( Good luck with it.:clap Nothing wrong with 235 ci. sixes. They can be souped up, to raise the blood pressure.:)

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks again for the welcome, gang. I plan on starting a build thread in a few days to document my insanity. I take a lot of pics along the way, so I may as well share! Skip, I plan on keeping the 235 in for a while, but I would still love to drop a mild small block in. I watch my budget really close, and an engine may be next year.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When you get ready for the small block,let us know! We have members here that can help you meet or exceed your expections for both mileage and power,fairly cheaply.

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard. Looks like you found a great car. Love your build plan and like others have said it won't be long after spending some time here and you will be on the hunt for a W motor to fill the hole...:deal

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:laughDan. what the hell are beedy eye's?:dunno:laughing

5557340276_e006d1c63d.jpg